Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok or Surat Thani

• donadoni

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2011

This will be my 3rd time in Thailand. Past 2 times i took directly domestic flights to Koh Samui after my arrival Bangkok. But this time i want to do this like backpackers way. (Train+Boat Joint) My target destination is Koh Phangan. I arrive Bangkok 21st Dec. 6.30am in the morning and there are 2 options.

1- I can take train to Surat Thani accordingly to my arrival and that means i'll be in Surat Thani at midnight.

2- I can spend the day in Bangkok and take overnight train then i can take off directly with the boat to Koh Phangan in the morning from Surat Thani.

That'd be nice if those experienced pals feed me with their ultimate suggestions about where to go n what to do or at least which option i should choose. (any backpacker gathering im in!)
    I know Bangkok is very much to see or to do but how 'bout Surat Thani? Is it really gonna worth to spend the night in there? Actually i'd like to see the place anyway but especially in the night?
    Any comments will be appreciated.
    Orcun.

p.s: If your suggestion will be Surat Thani I know there is no so much to do at night besides partyin in anywhere but please consider that im looking for more than a regular reggea bar. [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#1 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Take the night train, You can leave your bag at the luggage check at the station. Easy to get there with the trail link - Subway, no need to take taxi & Chinatown is within walking distance.

#2 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 10:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

There are a couple of important variables you left out here:

1. Where are you flying from? If you are flying in from Europe and arriving in the morning, that means you flew all night, and now have about six hours of jet lag to deal with on top of the no sleep that such a flight usually entails. You'll likely be fatigued and not be up for further travel that day.

2. If you don't sleep well on airplanes, and you don't sleep well on trains, and you've added jet lag to the equation - you are setting yourself up for a pretty rough 36 hours. Most people want to decrease their stress levels when on vacation. Not increase them.

If you are not staying in Bangkok for a couple of days, then I'd just fly. Long flight followed immediately by long train ride is going to suck. Backpackers usually go cheap, but they also tend to go slow... you can have it cheap and good. Or you can have it cheap and fast. Or you can have it fast and good. But you can't have it cheap, fast and good.

#3 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 12:54

• donadoni

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2011

Im glad that u warning me about the fatigue madmac but no worries. my flights gonna take not more than 2 hours so i'll be up n active.
    I decided to spend the day in bangkok till night train.
    I see theres many options to get to the train station from airport but which one is the easiest?
    And do you think that i definetely have to buy at least train ticket online if i want to buy 2nd class?

#4 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 05:22

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I really don't know how a link to Singapore's CT... made it on my previous post, of course I was referring to BK.

Might be a safe bet to book the train ticket online before just in case. Especially if it's close to the full moon party.

#5 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 05:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I've never taken the train here. The one time I tried, it was booked. So I am afraid I am not much help on that one.

#6 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 10:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok to Surat Thani ... By greenman42 on 17 Dec 2009 3 3943 18 Dec 2009
Flight from Bangkok to Surat Thani?? ... By mlr on 9 Aug 2009 3 2973 10 Aug 2009
Train from Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By BrumbyJack on 4 Dec 2012 4 2336 7 Dec 2012
Bangkok to Surat Thani - key things to see along the way? ... By stephwigz on 9 Aug 2006 3 3699 16 Aug 2006
Samui/Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By msaw on 3 Jan 2008 6 4436 4 Jan 2008
Train from Bangkok to Surat Thani ... By supernickymoreton on 20 Jan 2009 7 16631 28 Dec 2009
Overnight train from Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By BrumbyJack on 5 Jan 2013 7 7839 7 Jan 2013
train form Bangkok to Surat Thani ( Kr- how to book? ... By knot01 on 31 Jan 2009 10 13461 10 Feb 2009
Night train from Bangkok to Surat Thani then ferry to Ko Phangan and on to Koh Tao ... By mejulie on 8 Dec 2012 1 2171 10 Dec 2012
Koh Tao or Surat Thani? ... By BTone on 6 Apr 2011 6 4237 3 May 2011