Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

in & out over a year-advise please

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

as we are over 50 I know we can get a years visa but it sounds so complicated with scotland yard checks, accountant details ect - so I am thinking of going in and out of Thailand as we want to visit Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia ect - the embassy told me I can apply for 3 x 60 days to use up within 6 months but we would prefer longer and the visiting other countries would eat into our 6 months. Can anyone come up with a plan?
    thank you
    Tina

#1 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 11:01

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Tina,

It depends on what your overall plan is. If you intend to spend most of your time in one place in Thailand in a rented house or apartment with side trips to other places every so often, then the 1-year visa will be worth the extra work to get sorted ahead of time.

On the other hand, if you'll be drifting around all over the country, then a good strategy is to get 60-day tourist visas as recommended and just visit a new place like Cambodia or Laos each time they run out. You can also apply for a new 60-day tourist visa while visiting the other countries, or get a 30-day exemption when coming back into Thailand by air or 15 days by land. Doing a bit of maths ahead of time, you should be able cover the time you plan to spend.

If it were me, I'd probably get the 1-year visa if I could. It will be nice to have that all worked out ahead of time. It will give you more flexibility with your schedule once you arrive, and you also won't be spending your time on the road applying for and worrying about visas, when they run out, etc. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 20:35

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Get a 2-3 entry tourist visa at home first, then get another in Vientiane during your side-ventures. Have been here 8 years on back-to-back tourist visas. Just have to know the game and play it correctly, fairly easy.

#3 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 00:10

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

thanks guys - 8 years Captain Bob? - I salute you! I will apply for the 3 x 60 days and then go a la Bob x

#4 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 06:26

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

What's this one year visa? I'd look into that much more carefully. I'm unaware of such.(doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

As has been said a multi entry tourist visa is good for 2 x 60 days. However each 60 days can also be extended for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900bht.
    I'm unsure if this is also possible with a triple entry visa. You may want to ask in the extremely knowledgeable Thaivisa forums.

Be aware that if you leave the country at any time with any remaining days on your visa, those days will be lost unless you get a re-entry permit before leaving.

Not sure why your time outside the kingdom would "eat into" your 6 months?
    Why not do 60 days, extend 30. After 90 days leave. Re-enter starting your next 60+30.

Staying 8 years on a tourist visa is not salutable and is exactly the kind of practise the Thai government are trying to weed out. It being one of the main reasons land border visa waiver stamp times were reduced from 30 to 15 days in order to discourage perpetual border runners.

#5 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 14:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Is Travelrock back? This is yet another screen name but the writing style is suspiciously similar... :-)

#6 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 17:14

• tinacrossman

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

thanks johnniewalker - I will take your advice there about extending my 60 days for a further 30 - when I want to go back for another 60 /30 how long would I have to be out thailand for?
    tina

#7 Posted: 31/12/2011 - 05:48

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Just as long as it takes to get stamped into the neighbouring country and back out again.
    i.e. There is no minimum time. However most people have a look at the shops at the border and sit down for food/drink/smoke.
    Organised visa run companies allow time for this.

You mention 6 month visa validity. You must make your final entry into Thailand within that 6 months.

I am no authority. My posts here are to the best of my belief. Please do check the facts.

#8 Posted: 31/12/2011 - 06:22

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

I would suggest getting a 3x60 day VISA to use within 6 months. This will effectively give you 9 months in Thailand. Remember 60 days plus 30 days extension. you can do this 3 times to allow you to stay for 9 months. This is what i am currently doing. then after nine months you can take a trip to Vientiane in Laos and apply for another visa. This will probably be only for 6 months.

Easssy :)

Happy travels :)

#9 Posted: 1/1/2012 - 09:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.