Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where to stay in Northern Thailand?

• bluegrassPat

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2011

My girlfriend and I are headed up to Thailand and will be making it up to Chiang Mai . From there we want to head out and find a more isolated rural area to stay a few days. Any recommendations? We were recommended Pai but I've seen a lot about it becoming touristy. Are there any nice small isolated villages to stay in within a day of Chiang Mai where we can get away from tourists/ATMs/internet, etc ?

#1 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 19:06

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Check out the feature article on stops between Bangkok and Chiang Mai at:

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/152

Click on the information balloons on spots near Chiang Mai on the adjacent map to get ideas on several spots that might be right for you. Chiang Dao and Phrao are two good options to at least get you started.

#2 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 20:25

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Soppong (aka "Pang Mapha" 40km past Pai) is ideal for your needs. Stay at Cave Lodge or Soppong River Inn. Other good spots would be Chiang Dao, about 2 hours north of CM or Thaton another hour north. See Chiang Dao Nest and Malee Nature Bungalows and some info on Thaton here.

#3 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 00:24

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Soppong is what most people imagine Thailand "should" be like and usually walk away happy with that rural experience. Thaton is also a great place to kick back, but can be a bore if you're about seeing sights instead of relaxing and taking in the culture. Wat Chan is one of the most remote places in Chiang Mai province, might be worth a look for you. Piang Luang and Om Koi would also give you a very off the beaten trail feel. Do whatever you can to avoid Pai if you're looking to get away from tourists. It has its bright spots, but the tourists, both Thai and foreign, overrun it. Good luck on your travels!

#4 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 03:52

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I really liked Soppong, I stayed at the Cave Lodge too.
    It gets quite cold at night however... and there's a bad cold spell in the north at the moment.

#5 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 04:33

• madz

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2008

Pai is a really gorgeous little town, even if it is "touristy". The Thai's love it, the farang love it and it really is a special place. You should go there even for a night or two then grab a bus to Mae Hong Song. Gorgeous hills, wonderful people and some really awesome treks in those parts. But yes, take a coat, and a scarf and maybe even some gloves! Its cold up here now!

#6 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 20:43

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Nan is a good (better) area for what you're looking for.

#7 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 09:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.