Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Elephants

Posted by Lynnette on 27/2/2007 at 22:19

We are going to Bangkok then to Phuket in July with our 11yr old son, he is looking forward to seeing Elephants and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions of places to visit or tours that we couls all go on?
Thanx

#1 Lynnette has been a member since 27/2/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/2/2007 at 23:30 admin

Welcome to Travelfish Lynnette,

In Bangkok you'll often see elephants by the side of the road in the tourist areas, but a better place will be Phuket, where aside from elephant riding treks (easily arranged through any travel agent) there's also Phuket Fantasea - an elephant-extravanganza that runs nightly behind Kamala Beach -- It's not all that cheap, but well worth a look at least once. www.phuket-fantasea.com/

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Leo32725 on 28/2/2007 at 02:06

If you have the opportunity to go north I highly recommend the Mae Sa Elephant Camp north of Chiang Mai. Unbelieveable but true the elephants paint flowers and trees in oil on canvas. I can forward pics. Also if you are interested in Elephants, north of Chiang Mai is Mae Hong Son. The name supposedly means "place by the river where the elephants gather". It is where elephants were brought from the jungle and trained to work the Teak forests. It is a magical place. You can trek where very few go, bathe the elephants and just spend time with them in close to native habitat. It's a little off the beaten path but PG Air has 3 non stop flights a week from BKK and daily from Chiang Mai

#3 Leo32725 has been a member since 27/2/2007. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.