Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Jeep / Quad rental on Ko Phangan for 7+ days

• alt

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2011

Hi folks,
    We want to get some transport for our stay in Ko Phangan. I've been advised against 2 wheels as the roads can get pretty bad. I'm a competent scrambler driver, but don't want to do that with my girlfriend on the back.

Can anyone offer any advise on reputable companies that rent out jeeps/quads?

I'm not too worried about price, and hoping to get a good deal for a 7+ day rental; my main concern is to deal with a reputable organisation.

We're staying on the Sunset beach at Haad Rin

Can anyone provide any info? Cheers

#1 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 21:57

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I have rented a 4WD twice in KPN - both times from same place. Here is what I posted recently in another thread:

"I paid THB2000 for a 3-day rental period for a small 4WD. When you get off the ferry, push your way past all the taxi touts and walk straight along the pier and out onto the main road (only 100m give or take). There is a cafe directly opposite that also rents out vehicles. Sorry, I forget the name of the cafe, but it will be very obvious with signs out, etc. By memory, there were a few other places nearby as well.

They don't offer any kind of insurance so you're wearing the risk. They hold your passport as security - something I tried very hard to avoid. If you damage, you pay. No pay, no passport, I presume. Having said that, I had a very trouble-free rental, and they were very good to deal with otherwise.

It's well worth the expense IMO to be able to explore the island - and certainly safer than a motorbike, esp as some of the roads heading up to the NE beaches are pretty rough. "

Rather than handing your passport over as security, I have recently read of people paying some amount of cash as a 'bond'. I think I would be tempted to push for that an option in future as I really don't like handing my passport over!

#2 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 04:04

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Lizzy,

That sounds like a pretty good deal for the 3 days, all things considered. Was gas included in the rental price or did you have to fill up yourself? Also, how did the rental price compare to just hiring a car and driver for the day? Is the taxi system on the island decent enough to get around? I know! So many questions!

In the good old days I didn't worry to much about leaving my passport with the rental folks, but there have been so many bad stories lately that I'm much more careful about doing that anymore. There are a few spots that will accept a photocopy of the passport, but if they don't, as you said, you are wearing the risk. Ta.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 15:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey exacto.... Both times that I arrived on KPN, I didn't manage to get a shared taxi as I had hoped. Last time, I waited it out as 2 later ferries arrived, and no one wanted to go to the NE corner of the island where I was staying. My alternative was to pay 1000baht (from memory) to 'charter' a taxi for myself. At that price, I figured I might a well get a car and have the flexibility to explore the island.

The price didn't include petrol. But I only needed to put 1/2 tank in I think and that lasted the 3 days easily.

I didn't really use the taxi's in the end. I think if you are staying at the southern end (ie the more popular areas), they would be a good way to get around. But I tend to avoid those areas.. and hence have to pay the price!

I tried very hard to not leave my passport. I walked away (hoping that they would call me back!)... and then wasted yet another hour of my travel life sulking and being stubborn, efusing to go back and hand it over and refusing to pay the 1000baht taxi fare. In the end, I sucked it in and went back and rented the car.

I still think it's a great way to explore the island if you aren't into motorbiking (which I am in less populated areas with better roads, but didn't want to wear the risk on KPN) - and I would do it again. But next time, I would try and hand 1000baht over as a bond instead, but not sure how well that would go down.

#4 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 16:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ATV/Jeep Rental Pakse ... By bass_ke on 8 Nov 2009 5 4466 5 Dec 2009
Jeep rental - Samui ... By time2fly on 31 Mar 2012 4 1395 1 Apr 2012