Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

My packing list

• Briareos

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2011

Leave January 3rd until the 30th.

I think I have everything sorted just about rough plans and things to see and do, how to get around etc..
    Just making sure I have stuff ready to be packed for when the time arrives (not long to go now woo!)

Does this look about right?

Money Belt //
    Mos Repellent spray / Deet //
    Sun screen
    Face cloth //
    Cotton trousers
    4 t shirts //
    compression sacks (2 small 1 medium/ Mesh ditty bags //
    Combination locks //
    Universal Charger //
    Toilet roll
    toothpaste
    fleece //
    Earplugs //
    Book //
    Plastic bags
    Passport + photocopies //
    Travel Insurance
    Blood donor/type
    Credit card + write down numbers and account details for people at home
    Watch
    Light/Headlight //
    phone charger //
    camera charger //
    beard trimmer & charger //
    sun glasses //
    immodium //
    Camera //

Sorry should say the // and just to show the things I already have, copied it from notepad.

#1 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 14:26

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Scan your passport, tickets, insurance and other important docs (and a list of credit card numbers etc) and email it to yourself so that you can always retrieve the details on line if necessary.

I like to take a spare EFT-POS card and credit card - just in case. It ended up being very useful when I lost my wallet. It meant that I had a spare to hold me over until replacements arrived. I also tend to have some cash hidden in the depths of my backpack for emergencies (eg 5 x $20).

Not so sure about the Fleece unless you know you are in a particularly cold area. I tend to just layer up T-shirts, a polyprop top and a thin merino top.

You will be able to easily get toilet rolls where you travel - but it does pay to have a small roll tucked away in your pack just in case.

I do like to have a silk sleeping bag liner (can be picked up cheaply in Vietnam if you are going there, and possibly in other places). Often guesthouses in SEA don't have a top sheet, so if you like to be covered, these are a good idea. Also helps to keep the rogue mozzies and other creepy crawlies off of you.

#2 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 14:34

• Briareos

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2011

Scanning documents for online is a great idea didn't think of that cheers. Already made photocopies but having a backup would be handy.

The fleece is only a light weight thing not that big or thick got it mainly for travelling about at night should I need something bit warmer.

A sleeping bag liner could be useful also, I have read various bits about the old bed bugs and people using their sarongs or similar to lay over the bed.

Thanks busylizzy =)

#3 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 16:10

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Don't know if you're M or F? Guess there can be slight differences in requirements.
    Also depends where you plan staying? Fancy hotels with lots of free toiletries or budget back packer places.

I'd add to the list:

tooth brush
    small note pad & pen
    hand towel (handy when travelling)
    sun hat
    phone
    nail care kit
    shower gel/shampoo
    indoor only flip flops/slippers
    swimming trunks/bikini

Don't fret if you forget any of the above, most of it is readily available at 24hr 7-11 shops which are every few blocks.

If travelling alone a dog tag is a good idea with medical, allergy, insurance, emergency contacts, etc. details stored on it.

Fleece: yes definitely: If up north you will need it at night. Also, what many forget is when you return home you will feel cold (unless you're from another tropical country of course).
    I wear/carry mine as sometimes you can get seated in a cold spot on an aircraft.

Immodium: + a few other basic meds such as paracetamol, plasters, etc. There are pharmacies everywhere, but its always handy to have your own mini pharmacy at hand 24/7.

T-roll: they tend to get squished in travel bags. Those little plastic wrapped packets of tissues or wet wipes are easier to carry and small enough to always keep one in your pocket.
    However of course most Thai toilets have a bum gun for washing with. Much more hygenic than the western way of smearing it about with paper. No apologies for the detail - it is what it is. Hope you weren't eating dinner whilst reading this. [img]smileys/tongue.gif[/img] smiles.

#4 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 17:25

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Not that I want to harp on about toilet paper.. but I get a roll from home (better quality that what you get in SEA!), and tightly wind some around a pencil ( not the whole roll, just enough for emergencies!) and put it in a tiny ziploc bag. It gets rid of the core and makes it a smaller roll that I can carry around in my shoulder bag. And so what if it gets squashed?? It's just toilet paper!

#5 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 19:33

• jolietang

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2011

scanning the docs and passport is a really good idea! never thought about it!

medicine
    and i'd prefer soap than shower gel cos its easier to carry around.

#6 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 21:36

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Looks alla bout right.... I think you just need to remember your passport, your money and improtant things such as contacts and glasses etc. These can be hard to get hold of.

Other than them, you can get anything here in Thailand. You might spend a little more on certain cosmetics etc, but almost anything can be purchased here.

Dont stress. Chill my friend.

Safe and happy travels :)

#7 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 23:17

• Briareos

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2011

Great stuff cheers people.

I do already have a tooth brush, bought a notepad + pen, will take a small towel as well got one ready, will take my own showergel/shampoo as I am a little fussy and I will buy some flip flops/sandals when there because they are a bit harder to get here at the mo due to them being seasonal

O and I am M btw :) (at least I am hoping so)

#8 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 00:11

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I hope so too.
    Somehow I can not imagine a female travelling with a beard trimmer making many friends. But may be I'm getting old and old-fashioned :-)

#9 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 00:42

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

When i travel i never take my trimmer. Haha.

#10 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 23:38

• Advertisement

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Up north in Thailand, it's plenty cold so don't forget to bring something warm. The temperature at night drops to 2 or 3 C on Doi Inthanon, and 14 in Chiang Mai. Imagine how cold you'll be if you're riding a bike in that weather, or camping, or your guesthouse doesn't provide a blanket. I'm getting over a cold myself because I was too stubborn to bring something warmer than a thin fleece on a weekend motorbike trip. Not to mention the buses and vans are FREEZING more often than not.

One thing you might not have thought about, some gifts from home. We host couchsurfers often, and it's a nice touch when someone brings something from their home country. Imagine how much of a rock star you'll be if, for instance, you brought Canadian maple syrup from Canada, or chopsticks from Japan, or Swiss chocolate (some of the best stuff we've received)! You never know who'll you'll meet and will share everything with you with no expectation of anything in return. How thoughtful would it be to share something from your culture as a gift? Just something to think about. Good luck on your travels!

#11 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 03:40

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Good grief! It would be easier to just stay home!
    But I now have a wonderful image of a Thai person eating melted Swiss chocolate with Japanese chopsticks......................

#12 Posted: 29/12/2011 - 00:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Based on our itinerary - What to pack? Packing list? ... By smash on 8 Jan 2010 5 3961 31 Jan 2010
Packing list for Java, Bali and Gili -- what do you think? ... By travelinchen on 20 Jul 2011 17 8095 23 Jul 2011