Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

International Drivers Permit vs British Driving Licence...

  • kittenpooh

    Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2007
    Posts: 3
    Total reviews: 2

    Does anyone have the definitive answer to this question:
    Can I hire a motorcycle in Thailand and drive it legally with only a British Driving Licence?
    There seems to be a lot of conflicting information around as to whether or not an International Drivers Permit is required, or if the national licence will suffice...

    #1 Posted: 28/2/2007 - 18:34

  • Advertisement

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7372
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    I've hired dozens and dozens of motorbikes in Thailand and have never, ever been asked for any kind of licensewhatsoever. I suppose theoretically you'd need an international licence but I'd be amazed if a motorcycle shop refused to hire you a bike because you only had a UK licence.

    #2 Posted: 28/2/2007 - 20:43

  • exacto

    Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Posts: 2583
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

    just for fun, i typed "international driver's license" into my internet search engine. half the websites that came up wanted to sell one to me, and the other half were warning what a scam it is. to echo somtam's comments, i've similarly hired scores of motorbikes in thailand and laos and never been asked for any ID other than a passport, which they typically hold as collateral for the bike.

    #3 Posted: 2/3/2007 - 09:04

  • grantroger

    Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006
    Posts: 16

    alternatively, you could get a fake one from Kao Sarn road .... :P

    #4 Posted: 3/3/2007 - 00:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
International driving licence Vietnam Cambodia ... By ron67 on 24 Dec 2007 2 5662 26 Dec 2007
international drivers license ... By dnuts on 11 Apr 2006 3 2874 11 Apr 2006