Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand diving / snorkel in January

• lashend

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2011

Hi everyone,

Thanks for fielding this question. Variations on it have been asked, but I'd really like to get your take on 'the specifics'.

I'm heading to Thailand in January, and I'd like to do EITHER diving or snorkeling. I understand that this time of year the Andaman coast is better than the Gulf Coast. However, I also read everywhere that Koh Tao is the 'top-recommended' place for dive LESSONS.

I've dived once before and loved it, and I thought about maybe taking the PADI open water course. However, I don't feel like I 'have to', and I'm open to the idea of 'just snorkeling', too. So ..

QUESTION 1: How much more do you 'see' and 'experience' when diving than when snorkeling? Is it worth the up-scaling of price, etc?

QUESTION 2: Can you help me choose a place? As I said, I see there's that tension between 'Andaman coast is in season' and 'Koh Tao is best for dive courses'.

And, I know I can't 'have it all at once', but I would add that I'm not looking at all for partying, and if I could avoid crazy people getting drunk all around me, that would be my preference. (And I understand ... that's Koh Tao, right?) I don't want to be antisocial in total, but that's just not really the scene I'm looking for.

I'd like to be budget-conscious and as low cost as possible, but I don't necessarily need to find the very cheapest option out there.

And I love good food and cooking! Any place that might have a better culinary reputation (I don't know if it's at all different in different places of the south?) wins points!

Thank you - all your ideas and advice are much, much appreciated!!

Leah

#1 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 07:20

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

The Andaman has the best diving in Thailand. Koh Tao is okay but it is more for backpackers not wanting to spend the extra money. The similans and surin islands are the best dive sites in the country so I would recommend going to the Andaman side.

Koh Tao is best if you want a bargain, but the Andaman (mainly Khao Lak) is famous among divers and has much more to offer in terms of marinelife.

#2 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 19:58

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I found that Koh Tao wasn't great for snorkelling in January. Water was too rough and choppy and was a bit murky compared to other times of the year. I would stay on the Andamans side for that reason alone.

#3 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 20:03

• lashend

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2011

Thank you both!

I think I will stick with the Andaman side.

now ... to choose from among the loads of places on that side ...! What a nice challenge to have :) Tips still most welcome, thank you all very much.

#4 Posted: 28/12/2011 - 17:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Diving in January? ... By Liz90 on 25 Oct 2010 6 4607 27 Oct 2010
Sabah in January weather.. diving, hiking? ... By prana16 on 17 Aug 2009 0 3319 17 Aug 2009