Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Didn't apply for 60day tourist visa in time- what to do? (travelling on Jan12th)

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Hi All,

Myself and the gf are headed to Thai next thurs Jan 12th nd returning on April 1st. We won't be staying in Thailand for the whole duration, but will be there longer than 29days. We were told to get a 60day visa by the Thai consulate in Dublin. Problem is- they're still closed since before Christmas and we didn't apply on time. Stupid, I know!!

Doer anybody know if we can sort this out on arrival to Bangkok? Or are we completely screwed now?

Starting to get a a bit worried to say the least!

Thanks in advance,

A

#1 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 07:49

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

hi noworries (interesting name given the circumstances ;)

Here's the deal:

When you land in Thailand you'll get 30 days visa free. You must leave before that expires or you will be charged 500 baht per each day overstayed.

It's not possible to get a 60 day visa in Thailand. To get a 60 day visa you'll need to leave the country and visit a Thai embassy somewhere else (Vientiane and Penang are popular choices close to the border, but you could go Singapore, Phnomh Penh, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur or many others).

Now, if you cross the border to anywhere and don't want/need to get the 60 day visa, you'll receive another 15 days visa free if arriving back in Thailand overland, or another 30 days if arriving by air. To get this you don't need to visit the Thai embassy, you just turn around and cross back over the border.

So, your options are:
    A) leave Thailand and get a 60 day visa or fresh 15/30 day visa free stay, depending on what you need, and come back immediately to finish up your time in Thailand.
    B) adjust your itinerary so as to go wherever else you're planning to go before the 30 days are up and pick up a 60 day visa somewhere if necessary at that point, or come back with a 15 or 30 day stay if that's enough time.
    C) pay the 500 baht / day overstay fees.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 08:45

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

DLuek is correct.

There are lots of companies in major cities such as Bangkok & Pattaya that organise border visa runs by mini bus. Haven't done one for years, but a rough guess of cost would be around 2500 bht each. You'll get 15 days.

However, I think you have time to get your visas . When the consular office re-opens on Monday 9th you can phone them 01 4786412 and make an appointment. (You might have to make several attempts to get through as no doubt they'll be inundated on Monday) If you can get there, pay a small extra fee and collect your visa within an hour or two.
    Its do-able in Liverpool, so guessing should be in Dublin.

#3 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 18:19

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

I think you still have time too. I have always used Hull and had a 24 hours postal turn around.

#4 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 20:08

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Hi everyone,

thank you very much for all your help (this site delivers again), really appreciate it.
    @ DLuek- yep names a little ironic now, ay ;) thanks for the help and advice!!

@johnny & ayesha- that's great to hear that you both have experienced quick turn-arounds. We were away over Christmas and were NOT expecting the consulate to be closed until mon 9th!!
    Going to head in there first thing Monday morning and explain the situation, that we have acomm booked etc over 30 days as well as a flight ticket that has us there over 60days. Hopefully they can look after us!

If anyone else has any other experiences getting quick turn-arounds with visas in Dublin or UK do let us know :)

Thanks again for your help, feeling a bit more like my username now again... ;)

#5 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 05:20

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Oh dear indeed!! Sh1te!!
    I have spoken with them on the phone before, so hopefully I can call her first thing MOnday morning and see what she can do for us. Really pushing it now!!! Thing is I was chatting to her in Nov and explained our situation, she said to apply in late December and it should take up to a week to get it. She never mentioned that they were closed for so long over Christmas.
    Hoperfully I can convince her over the phone to fast-track it or something!!

Really don't fancy giving them my passport though as flying on Thursday eve! Nightmare...

#6 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 06:24

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Oops, oh dear. You best read step 4 here:

http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/visaguidelines.htm

In the light of that, assuming you can't get them in time, you should check with the airline if they will let you fly. Many will to Thailand as even though your return ticket is beyond 30 days, they know you can do a border run. If not you'll need to book a train/flight out of Thailand.

Edit: this post was originally post #6. I pulled it to edit it & Noworries replied to it whilst I was editing it, hence changing the order.

#7 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 06:28

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

You must have an onward flight within 30 days or a tourist visa or you will most likely not be allowed to board the plane. The visa should only take a day or 2 to get so you still have time.

If not, then you should book a flight to another country you plan on visiting through Air Asia within the 30 day time frame.

#8 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 20:28

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Thanks again for the advice. We're going to(try) sort everything out first thing in the morning.
    Hopefully they can sort us out- or else were screwed.

So annoying as with our trip we took over christmas and them being closed for such a long period for christmas, there was no way in hell we could get it sorted.

Well, fingers crossed it all works out, will post an update here tomorrow- hopefully it helps someone else who may be in the same position in the future.

#9 Posted: 8/1/2012 - 14:40

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Well... we got sorted this morning no problem; they do an ezpress service, which is a relief and also handy onfo for anyone else in the same position in the future as they don't actually list the express service on the website!

Pick in up our passports tomorrow :)

No worries!

#10 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 07:25

• Advertisement

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Thanks for the update NW. Glad you got it sorted. Have a great time.

#11 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 07:51

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Forgot to mention the cost of a 60day tourist visa has now gone down to €35 from €40
    Express service was an extra €20

not too bad if you're stuck!

#12 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 14:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand - Will I need to apply for a tourist visa? ... By MEvans on 7 Oct 2008 6 2086 7 Oct 2008
60day Thailand Visa from Laos ... By OliveOyle826 on 6 Jan 2013 2 1200 21 Jan 2013
Confused as to which Thai Visa to apply for? ... By chicoelnino on 16 Apr 2013 3 1396 18 Apr 2013
Apply for your Cambodian visa online ane get a free Travelfish Guide ... By somtam2000 on 3 Jul 2007 2 2657 6 Jul 2007