Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which Thai Island?

• dave07

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2007

Hi there,

I am planning on travelling to Thailand mid-May for a week or so on my own. My main goal is to spend the time relaxing on an island beach (or inside a bungalow if it is raining!) rather than 'sight see', but I am at a loss as to which island to choose?

Ideally, id prefer one that wasn't merely a cove for loved-up couples, or one that is too wild and loud - something in between would be perfect!

Its not a huge issue, but just to check - I appreciate that May is the start of the monsoon season, but does that mean sunbathing on a white beach is out of the question all together?

Thanks for any advice!

#1 Posted: 2/3/2007 - 20:09

• Advertisement

• Loops

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

You could try Koh Lanta. Last time I went was about 3 years ago and it was very peaceful. It wasn't very well known at the time - it is gaining in popularity but I think it would still be nice there.

The beaches are great - not particularly great for snorkelling as they are not rocky enough, but for a wide sandy beach with fantastic sunsets over the Phi-Phi islands and bungalows right down to the sand, I've never found better (there were no hawkers when we went either........but I'm sure that will have changed!).

Pretty much all the hotels/resorts there were bungalow operations and not built above the tree line so picturesque - it was also relatively cheap at the time compared to places like Railey and Phuket.

Most of the activity goes on beachside, so you can wander along and pop into little bars and restaurants without leaving the sand!

To get there you can get a ferry from Krabi (about 2 hours) or there are mini-buses etc from Krabi too which take about 1.5 hours). Unless they have built a bridge since I went, it involves 2 car ferries - one to Koh Lanta Noi from the mainland and then another over to Lanta Yai (where the accommodation is).

If you want to know anything else, I'd be happy to help.

#2 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 08:14

• dave07

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2007

Thats great thanks. I had browsed that island but not really looked too much at it. Cheers. If anything else comes to mind, I know who to come to!

#3 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 08:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ko Lanta is a pretty good option, though I'd be wary of the weather -- particularly in May. If you're concerned about rain, Ko Samet is a good choice -- it's not the most beautiful island, but it's still pretty great, and sort of fits into your idea of not a love nest nor a ravers retreat -- somewhere in between. Plus its very convenient to Bangkok.

There's always Ko Pha Ngan -- it's big enough that you can hide from the parties when you want and join in on other occasions -- very popular too, so if you want to hook up with a few other travellers its a fine choice.

#4 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 16:32

• darnsmall

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2007

Is it just me or is main part of Koh Phi Phi one of the dirtiest stretches of beach imaginable?
    Horrible water and so much rubbish...shame about monkey beach on the other side...even more rubbish

We had to get a boat to take us to cleaner water and beaches for swimming

#5 Posted: 27/4/2007 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.