Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand Itinerary Help

• jennakuz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011

Hi guys,

I'm flying into bangkok on Jan 10th from Vancouver and I need some itinerary help for my first month. I plan on staying in Bangkok for 3 - 4 nights upon arrival, planning on visiting the chatuchak weekend market, the flower market, etc before heading south. I was also planning on stopping in Ratchaburi on the way down (1 night?).

What is the easiest way to travel south? Bus or train?

I dont plan on spending time in phuket.. want to visit Ko PhiPhi but i'm assuming it will be very crowded this time of year.

I have read great things about Ko Bulon Lae and want to visit there... read that you have to take a boat from Pak Bara - how do i get here?

I would appreciate suggestions of other islands that are likely to be less touristed this time of year... am looking also at Krabi, Ko Samui, Racha Island, Ko Adang and the similan islands.

While south I plan on doing a lot of relaxing, but would also like to dive, rock climb explore forests, take motorbike trips etc... not looking for too much big city/shopping.

I need help with transportation and also any suggestions of places you think I would enjoy are much appreciated. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 12:36

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi jennakuz,

You've got lots of time. Why not consider taking the Mahachai-Mae Khlong train from Thonburi to Samut Songkhram, then spend a night in Amphawa? It's an excellent area, and a great way to get to Ratchaburi, which is only about 15 km away. The train ride is a blast!

I'd go with the train instead of buses for a long trip. If I was going to make a few stops then I'd go with the bus.

Yes, Phi Phi will be packed, as will Samui and every other popular island down there. Maybe look at places like Koh Jum, or some of the quieter areas of Koh Lanta. Koh Si Boya gets a lot of Canadian visitors, but most are long term stayers and the beach isn't great. Excellent island, though.

#2 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 15:03

• jennakuz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011

Awesome, thanks. Bangkok is my hub so i will be in and out a few times and that train ride sounds awesome.

this is what I put together for the west coast islands:

Bangkok -> phuket
    Phuket Thailand
    Khao Lak - to get to Similan Islands
    Ko Phi Phi Don (take speedboat to ko phi phi- easy to do?)
    Ko Lanta Krabi Thailand
    Ko Muk Kantang Trang Thailand
    Ko Sukon Palian Trang Thailand
    Pakbara
    Ko Bulon Le Thailand
    Ko Lipe Thailand
    Ko Samui Surat Thani Thailand
    Ko Phangan Ko Pha-ngan Surat Thani Thailand
    Ko Tao Ko Pha-ngan Surat Thani Thailand

Can I access all of these easily by boats? they are all on the same route... once i get to ko Lipe and am ready to go to back north in order to go to Ko Samui how would I approach this? i wouldn't have to go back through all of the islands would i? is there a more direct boat?
    also does this look like too many places to visit for 1 month?
    wondering which (if all) could just be day trips

#3 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 16:47

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well ... you don't state how much time you plant to spend on/in each place. Even if you did I think you'd need about 2 months to manage all of this unless you plan on spending just a night or two on each island, which would be unfortunate considering the time and effort it will take to get to a couple of them.

You're definitely not leaving yourself much time to dive, climb, explore or take motorcycle trips. You'll be spending most of your time going from Point A to Point B, catching buses and boats.

If you want to avoid the really busy, touristy places, you should consider dropping Koh Samui and Koh Phi Phi from your list.

Phi Phi ... yes, it's easy to get to by speedboat.

You cannot island hop between all of these islands. For most of them you'll have to go back to the mainland and do some traveling.

I would not recommend any of these places as day trips.

Keep in mind that you'll be well into your first week by the time you even get to Phuket.

#4 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 19:41

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

There is no train from BKK to Phuket so it is best to fly or take the bus. You can also get a government bus directly to Khao Lak from BKK.

If you want to go climbing then skip Phi Phi and go to Railay in Krabi instead.

It will take you a full day to get from Lipe to Koh Samui so be sure to leave early.

#5 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 20:24

• samila

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2011

You should start with the island you think is most interesting, and spend some time there. If you like the island then stay for some time, if not, leave. Then go the next island when you want to see a another island. You can do a lot of islands in a short time, but you will then be spending most of your time travelling. Better to take it easy and take your time.

A few more islands you could look at: 2 small quiet islands, Koh Maphrao (Coconut Island) and Koh Nakha Noi, these islands is located a few kilometers from Phuket, only a short boatride away.

http://paddlinginphuket.blogspot.com/2011/05/koh-maphrao.html

http://paddlinginphuket.blogspot.com/2011/04/koh-nakha-yai.html

#6 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 22:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help with Southern Thailand Itinerary ... By luchy1309 on 23 Jul 2009 5 3011 27 Jul 2009
Itinerary from Southern Thailand onwards ... By georgiaj on 8 Jun 2012 2 1477 9 Jun 2012
Possible two week itinerary for Southern Thailand, too much for so little time? ... By lys36 on 21 Aug 2013 4 2319 25 Aug 2013