Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

travel with my dog-train?

• stampot23

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2012

Hi. i want to travel for a few months threw thailand with mij doggy.
    I know its possible to go by plane but i'm still afraid something will gowrong, i rather dont loose her out of sight so long. is it a possibility to travel to thailand with the train from western europe?
    thanx

p.s any other suggstion is also welcome

#1 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 15:45

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

You will find that it is quite difficult to travel around Thailand with a dog, as they are not allowed on buses. Not sure if they are allowed on trains either, unless you cage her. But they may put her in the cargo train.

Also, some of the dogs here can be quite nasty and territorial.

#2 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 19:49

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Stampot,

You will need to check the quarantine procedures for your dog, both going into Thailand and when you return to your home country. You may find yourself separated from your pet for months.

In addition, you will need additional paperwork like vaccination certificates, etc.

#3 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 21:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Do not bring your dog to Thailand. You won't be able to go anywhere. There are dogs everywhere, mostly which are loosely organized in packs, and are, as Guava says, very territorial. They will attack your dog for sure at some point while you are walking down the street. This is nothing like Europe where pet regulation is controlled and organized. Almost nothing here is controlled or organized. Further, since many places here can not be reached bytrain, you are stuck with buses on which you can't bring the dog. I don't see this working for a lot of reasons.

#4 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 22:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i'm afraid i agree with the others that bringing your dog to thailand is not a good idea. when i was living in thailand, friends who brought their dogs with them from home had to put the dog in quarantine for 30 days - and pay for the cost of that quarantine as well. this is above and beyond all the required paperwork, certifications, and inspections. i think it is largely still the same these days. if travelling with your dog is an important part of the adventure, then you'll be much better off selecting somewhere that won't require quarantine and that 30-day separation.

#5 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 22:50

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Leave your dog at home! Geez

#6 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 04:12

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Stampot,

I just reread your question and it is possible to take the Trans-Siberian express to go from Western Europe to Asia. You will get off at Beijing and than make your way by bus/train to Thailand.
    http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm#Trans-Siberian_route_map
    http://www.seat61.com/Map-southeast-asia-train-routes.htm

However,
    http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/3657/are-dogs-allowed-on-the-trans-siberian-railway

That is just for the Tran-Siberian leg of the journey. You will need to check what the rules are in China, Vietnam, etc for travel with a pet.

#7 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 21:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.