Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3 young people looking for trip advice

• svwelch

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2011
    Location United States

My two friends and I are plannng to spend the month of Febuary traveling through the region and are looking for any input from those that have gone before us. Our minds and schedule are wide open. Any suggestons would be greatly appreciated. Blessings.

#1 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 21:54

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

My advice: start trawling through the forums and the TF website and start forumulating some ideas and then some more specific questions.. There is a wealth of information here. We have all posted our thoughts, ideas, suggestions, recommendations, must-sees, do-not-do's, and other advice.

#2 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 22:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, I just met a guy coming through the airport and he arrived in Bangkok, went straight to Pattaya and spent his entire four week vacation there. He said the place is great. Don't know if this helps or not.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 02:23

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac:
    Was he fat, balding, middle-aged with a red nose from heavy drinking- because I think I saw the same guy.
    Yes,Pattaya is wonderful if you like watching a never ending parade of half-dressed girls who seemed to have rehearsed at the same drama school.
    'Hello, you very hansome man, you buy lady drink.....' End of conversation.

#4 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 03:02

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

One month = maximum two countries and c.6-7 different places.

One month would be a good amount of time to thoroughly explore Vietnam and go nowhere else. Hanoi has good air connections too.

Conversely you could spend c.15 days in each Cambodia and Laos.

What are your specific interests?

#5 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 03:33

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Mad Mac - You don't post on the Thaivisa boards as well, do you? :D Well kids, good idea to keep your minds open, but if you don't have an idea of what you want to do, you may well end up spending the month on the banana pancake trail with the others who didn't dig into some research beforehand. The most important thing you should think about is, what you want to do? Do you want to party? Do you want to immerse yourself in the "cultural" experience? Do you want to do trekking or other outdoorsy things? Do you want to get off the beaten track to where other tourists don't go? Or do you want to lay on a beach and read a book all holiday?

For good advice, you should check out this site, it's great in helping you plan and research:
    http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand
    Also, go back and read the past few months of posts on this board and read what others have posted about this same inquiry. If you have any specific questions that aren't answered there, ask away! We'd all love to help if you were a bit more specific. Hope you enjoy your holiday guys (or girls).

#6 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 22:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Since they were so non-specific I just couldn't resist.

Kids, it would help a ton if you included more information. Likes, dislikes, what kind of vacation you are looking for, etc.

You will note China steered you straight away towards Vietnam and / or Cambodia/Laos. Some people are looking for the kind of vacation opportunity these different locations present.

If you want beaches and party time, then the Thai Islands are where you probably want to be.

If you want cheap sex, Pattaya is the place to go.

If you want to absorb local culture on a human level, there are a million places where that is possible.

It really helps if you specify first what you want so people can give you intelligent advise.

#7 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 22:13

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I think if you want beautiful beaches, islands, partying and lots of amazingly cheap seafood and beer consider crossing the border and visit Sihanoukville in Cambodia.
    I expect Madmac probably is a better source for prices on Thai beaches but I hear they are not cheap.
    Sihanoukville.
    for example:
    Fresh, yes fresh, tuna steak barbecued with chips (french fries) and Russian salad $3,
    half litre of good lager beer 50 cents.
    All served to you while you sit on a lounger under a sun umbrella a couple of metres away from the sea.
    Decent clean accomodation with 24 hour security, fan only but at this time of year it's good enough $8.
    Sex as well, if that's your thing, but be careful and lock your valuables in the hotel safe.
    The only drawback is a procession of beggars.I don't know if you get this problem in Thailand but it's something you have to get used to in most parts of Asia.

#8 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 22:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Sayadian,

I'm hearing more and more that the Cambodian beaches are the place to go, and what you've described reminds me of the Thai islands in the early 90's, which seems like an eternity ago now. Which area in Sihanoukville would you specifically recommend? Cheers.

#9 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 23:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sayadian
    I don't know squat about Thai beaches other than what I've had people tell me and what I've read here. I don't like the ocean very much, so I don't go there for vacation. I prefer Issan.

#10 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 03:39

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

exacto - I think Sayadian is referring to Otres Beach. $2 in a tuk-tuk from the centre of Sihanoukville. It is a very nice spot, not out of this world nice but nice.

Much better bet than the paedophile haunts closer to town anyway.

#11 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 09:02

• cjc

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Hi Svwelch,

I am a young backpacker and am currently traveling the region. I have been in the South of Thailand for the last month and I am going to Chiang Mai tomorrow and then heading to Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam over the next few months.

It really helps if you specify your interests but personally I just had the most amazing time in the South of Thailand (Koh Phi Phi, Koh Phangan and Koh Toa)-
    Koh Phi Phi and Koh Phangan are beautiful islands and both have good party scenes and lots of young people. Phi Phi is more expensive and commercialized than some of the other islands (cheapest accommodations are around $16 for a double room or bungalow w a fan and food can be cheap or expensive, its got it all) but I love it. If you are interested in getting diving certification - Koh Toa is one of the cheapest places in the world and is a really nice island. But there really is an island or beach in this region for whatever you are looking for.

To experience some of the other natural beauty and culture of Thailand, I would also recommend going into a national park or heading to the North to do a trek (Chiang Mai perhaps). I've also only heard amazing things from other travelers about Pi and Loas, which you might consider.

Good luck planning, and if you want more suggestions just post what your interested in. Oh, and the best advice I can give you now is to be flexible in your plans. If you are anything like me and my friend you may end up loving a place and staying way longer than you expected!

#12 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 11:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
advice/recommendations for young adults on southern islands ... By chambers on 3 Jun 2008 1 3072 3 Jun 2008
Itinerary advice needed for a 1 week visit to Laos with 2 young kids ... By skwan00 on 16 Jul 2013 5 948 20 Jul 2013