Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

4 month itinerary, best route

• Jordamo

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2011

Flying into Bangkok Feb.28 and want to stay in thailand for at least 5-6 weeks at the beginning of the trip, ending in southern Thailand. Lao,Vietnam, and Cambodia are also on the list. Indonesia (Bali) more specifically is high on the priority list of places to visit. Going South, it only makes sense to spend some time in Malaysia as well. We fly out of Bangkok end of June.

I would like to plan a route with the least back tracking/travel time. I've read that travelling at this time of year can be very hot and can get wet going into june in some places. Heat doesn't bother me too much, but if one region is best visited over another at a curtain time of year that could play a factor as well.

I'm 23, travelling with 2 friends, and am still in my glory party years ;) I have no problem staying on somewhat the beaten path (banana pancake trail) but definitely would like to see some places less travelled.

Thanks everyone for any feedback or suggestions

#1 Posted: 8/1/2012 - 20:34

• Advertisement

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Good long holiday, congrats! With flights being very cheap, it's easy to avoid backtracking, if it's in your budget. Try AirAsia, they have fantastic routes and prices (mind the add-ons, though). You're right that the rainy season in Thailand starts in May/June, so you're best to go the beaches around then or before. For many parts of Thailand, the rain isn't a constant downpour, but rather a brief monsoon sandwiched in the middle of a beautiful day. For instance, I walked to and from work in Bangkok all year, returning home at 4 and got rained on only twice because the rain would normally start later than that. When you think rainy season, don't fret that you'll be stuck inside all day while it pisses down. There are good and bad weather days, but don't write them all off as days to be inside a temple or museum.

For partying, I'm sure you've heard of Full Moon right? Good to see what's going on there if you're looking to have a good time. Just keep your wits about you when you're there. Samui has some good parties, along with Phuket and Phi Phi. Good luck on your travels!

#2 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 22:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.