Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Showing up unbooked in mid-Jan

Posted by waytogo on 9/1/2012 at 08:09

I'm sure there's already a couple million similar threads out there, but...

Is it true that practically everything is fully booked in the Khao San area of Bangkok in January? I read somewhere it's the only month worth prebooking. I have 4 days to kill in Bangkok and I go for Khao San rooms for the obvious reasons, but I don't have a reservation and I feel like it's way too late to start looking for a room online.

Never needed a reservation before but never went in January either.

So is this true or just one of those common Internet traveler rumors?

Will I be able to find a room in the area in mid-January? What say y'all?

Those with quick replies get cookies -- I'm leaving in less than 5 days!

#1 waytogo has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 25

Posted by jolietang on 9/1/2012 at 08:14

not true. theres tons of hostel and hotel you can go. im going there in 2 weeks too but this time im gonna find one upon arrival instead of booking it online

#2 jolietang has been a member since 22/12/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by whardy on 9/1/2012 at 22:15

You'll be fine. There's an overabundance of guesthouses in the area, and not only on Khao San proper. They spill into adjacent areas, and many cheap places can be had. Not everyone is thinking about prebooking or even know what their plans are. At the least, you'll catch someone checking out and can check into their rooms. Try Rambuttri street, its a long one and much more quiet than Khao San. Good luck on your holiday!

#3 whardy has been a member since 14/11/2011. Posts: 66

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.