Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

10 days to spend in Thailand - Where to go?

• jamesb_

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Hi all,

I finish my tour in Bangkok on 15th Feb and have approx 10 days to play with.
    My tour seems pretty full on with a lot of travelling, so I am looking to settle on a picturesque beach, nice hotel, with access to some night life..

Where is the best place I should go?

Thanks very much for your info!

#1 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 15:33

• Advertisement

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

What kind of nightlife are you looking for? Pretty much every beach in Thailand is going to have some kind of bamboo hut serving beer and whiskey, but if you're talking about some more serious nightlife, your options dwindle significantly.

I would never recommend Patong in Phuket, but it's got hotels, beach (blech), and an abundance of every type of nightlife. If your main goal is to party your face off, that's where you should go.

Chaweng Beach on Koh Samui is very beautiful and has great accommodation options and perhaps the best nightclub in Thailand in The Green Mango. A bit pricey and the most touristy beach outside of Pattaya and Phuket, but pretty nonetheless.

For me, the island with the best overall package is Koh Lanta. The nightlife isn't too wild, but there's a few places to dance and party, along with great hotels scattered around and near-deserted beaches further south on the island. Hope you find what you're looking for!

#2 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 21:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Whardy
    I am surprised you picked Patong over Pattaya if you want to "party your face off". Pattaya is considerably cheaper.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 22:15

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

MAC - true, and quite bigger. Patong attracts a bit younger crowd than Pattaya, in general, so that's why I stay away from it. We may be talking about different types of "partying", though. Yes, if you want to "party" with some company, Pattaya might suit you better. Perhaps bias in that I always went with my mid 20s friends to the clubs in Patong, but I found the dance clubs more fun, young, lower % of working girls and more western girls than in Pattaya.

#4 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 22:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I don't go to either actually. When I want to dance, it's salsa all the way. I've been to Pattaya twice to dance at Scandanavia. Jojo is doing great work there building a dance scene. Otherwise it's Bangkok for me, since the dance scene is so much larger.
    I have no desire to seek out specifically westerners to "party with" otherwise and can't understand why someone would travel all the way to Thailand to do that. But eastwest told me "it's the way of the jutes". I'm 50, so I guess I can't really relate to that. Maybe also because I live here. My son, who is only 24 and lives in Khon Kaen, also avoids western hang outs. When he wants to party, he goes to places where there are no westerners at all. His preference is to go native on that front (and for economic reasons, he has to for food as well). Different strokes for different folks I guess.

#5 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 22:41

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

If you're ever in CM, 2nd Floor Gallery has a fantastic salsa night Thursdays. Lessons up front for an hour followed by dancing the night away.

It's more common to see a bar full of backpackers with a few Thais, a la Khao San, vs. a couple backpackers in a bar full of Thais. Much more economical and "culturally immersive" to hang in the Thai bars, but more convenient for a backpacker to go somewhere where they can order and converse with others in English. If nothing else, one would be well served to learn how to say bia and whisakey in Thai :)

#6 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 00:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Whardy
    I suppose because I live here and speak Thai now, that's much less of a factor in my decision making. But even when I first came here, I went to Yasothon and stayed there for my whole vacation. Part of that is the reason I came to Thailand in the first place was to meet my wife's family. And the other reason is I don't feel a pull to be with other westerners. Thanks for the salsa tip.

#7 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 03:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
20 days in thailand, please advise on how to spend it! ... By parth82390 on 6 Jun 2011 5 2402 13 Jun 2011
20 days: advice on how to spend? ... By amz155 on 31 Dec 2008 11 1781 5 Jan 2009