Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

5/6 wk travel route- Thailand Vietnam Cambodia

• Irishgirl22

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

Hi there,

I am a 22 year old female setting out on a RTW trip with my boyfriend on 9th Feb 2011.
    We are planning on spending 5/6 weeks travelling around Thailand, Vietnan & Cambodia. I have done up a brief itinerary up - so any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. I am open to any suggestions u's might have on activities, places to see in each place. We are mainly looking to sightsee, trek, elephant ride etc. I am also a non drinker so quieter islands are not a problem for me as it is not necessary to be on the busy islands for going out!! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and for any advice u's have for me :)

10th - 13th Bangkok
    13th - night train to Chiang mai

14th - 17th - Chiang mai (possible hill trek & elephant ride)
    17th - 19th - Pai (any suggestions what to do here ?? Heard tubing is popular)

19th - head bk to chaing mai & fly to Hanoi (is there any direct flights or will I have to stop of in Bangkok?)

20th -22nd Hanoi

22nd - travel to Hoi An

22nd - 24th Hoi An

25th travel to HCMC

25th - 27th HCMC

28th travel to phom phen

29th -2nd march phom phen

3rd travel to Siem reap

3rd - 5th march Siem reap

5th - travel back to Bangkok & spend 10 days between ko Sami, ko phangan & ko Tao (have travelled southern Thailand before but just wanted to end with a week relaxing before moving on to Australia - so don't mind if I need to cut a few days from this part to another part of my trip)

Is this too rushed??

Thanks again :)

#1 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 16:53

• Advertisement

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

It's always too rushed. I spent 2 weeks on one island in October and when time was up I was scratching my head wondering where the time went. Given that time and money aren't unlimited, just do your best to spend your holiday NOT en route 12 hours to a place you're going to spend 2 days. Totally up to your own judgement, but take it easy on yourself.

A few tips:
    Cut a day out of Bangkok. You don't need 3 days to see what there is to see for a tourist there. I always recommend 2 days or 2 weeks+, nothing in the middle. See the touristy stuff, or actually dig in and get a feel. Anything past 2 days and you're not gaining much.

Don't do a trek out of Chiang Mai. Instead, do one out of Soppong, an hour west of Pai . If you do a trek out of Chiang Mai, it will be really cheesy and not the "authentic" experience you're looking for. Tourist fabrications. That's what you get on a day trip from the largest city in the north.

Don't tube in Pai. During dry season (now), the water level is really low and you'll end up with a bruised ass. In Pai, there's not too much to do and that's kind of the point. It's just a chill, pretty town. Sure, there's a waterfall, hot springs, and a few villages, some more touristy than others (Santichan, for example). Pai is completely touristy, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you'll have to search harder for the hilltribe experience you're looking for.

For flights out of Chiang Mai, check AirAsia. Hope you have a great trip! If you have more questions, ask away.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 02:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel route advice please! Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos ... By IndiaGabrielle on 14 Jun 2013 3 2766 15 Jun 2013
Route ideas Thailand-cambodia-Vietnam ... By kurukafa on 27 Feb 2012 0 698 27 Feb 2012
A good route...? Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand ... By charlyangel on 10 Mar 2006 1 3395 11 Mar 2006
Best Route - 4 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia and poss. Vietnam ... By Xana on 13 Mar 2006 1 3498 14 Mar 2006
ROUTE TO VIETNAM / CAMBODIA / LOAS / NORTH THAILAND - SOUTH ... By mango551 on 11 Jan 2010 2 5126 14 Jan 2010
What is the best route and best deal from Manila to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 1 2670 16 Feb 2009
Order of route through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam... how best to end the trip? ... By estelle8 on 3 Aug 2010 3 7425 15 Aug 2010
What the best route to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from Manila? ... By mingkoy on 16 Feb 2009 10 13834 29 Aug 2010
Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- 3 1/2 months...NEED HELP With a guidline Route?????!! ... By kgroarke on 12 Feb 2011 3 5381 1 Mar 2011
3 month route through Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos - constructive criticism wanted! ... By kmc on 30 May 2011 5 5438 1 Aug 2011