Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai hotels

• heavanse

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2010

Hi,

I'm going to be in Chiang Mai from Feb 25 - Mar 26. Does anyone know of any good, reasonably priced (cheap) places to stay?

Thanks,
    Michelle

#1 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 20:11

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Michelle,

There are dozens, depending on what level of comfort you need.

One that looks really good and old-school cheap to me is Ginny Place. It is in a great location inside the moat. You can read about it here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailandadditions/7991_ginny-place-guesthouse-in-chiang-mai

Another favorite is CM Blue. You'll find details at: http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/northern_thailand/chiang_mai/chiang_mai/all/1822

Are you looking to stay at the same place for the entire month or to move around to explore different parts of the city? Cheers.

#2 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 20:27

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

A traveler favorite is A Little Bird Guesthouse in the old city. It's one of the cheapest at 100 baht for a dorm bed and full of many like-minded wanderers.

If that doesn't suit you or your style, your best bet is just to show up and shop around before you buy or book online. There's hundreds of little guesthouses all over the old city, many that aren't on any websites so just walk around an area (I'd recommend Moon Mueang area just for the density of accomm) and pick one. There are many cheap places, say under 400 baht, so not to worry about not booking ahead and not having a place at a good price.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2012 - 21:26

• heavanse

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2010

Thank you for your recommendations. I'm taking a TEFL class near chiang mai university and, unfortunately, most of the places I've found online or were recommended are about an hour walk away. I think I'm going to have to arrive a day or two early and look around.

Thanks again for your help!

#4 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 00:47

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Your best bet is to rent a motorbike, that'll open your world up. I'm not sure of much over in that area, but if you look hard you'll find it. If you have to commute, it may be a pain, but only 20-30 baht one way (around $1 USD).

#5 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 03:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.