Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Island Help!

• garnetbk

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2012

I've been researching like a madwoman but have yet to figure out which is the perfect island and beach bungalow for our trip to Thailand next month. We're looking for quiet, beautiful view, good snorkeling off the beach, good beach without trash, beach hut under $100 per night, ideally other stuff to do on island or surrounding islands like a village, jungle, etc... We don't care about partying but also prefer not to be in a resort bubble where there's nothing to do other than resorts. Thanks so much for all thoughts!!!!

#1 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 17:15

• Advertisement

• samila

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2011

What about the island Koh Nakha Yai?

It have a small bungalow resort called Tenta Nakara on the east side, and a brand new bungalow resort on the west side. They were building the resort on the west side when I paddled around this island some time ago, it should be open now, opening in November 2011 was the plan.
    It's a quiet island with a small village, nice beaches, beautiful seaview, snorkeling...........and it's only a short boatride away from Phuket if you want to go somewhere else.

http://paddlinginphuket.blogspot.com/2011/04/koh-nakha-yai.html

#2 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 19:46

• garnetbk

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2012

Thanks for the tip Samila. How long did you stay/recommend staying?

#3 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 15:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Have you checked out this page with some good island overviews?

http://www.travelfish.org/islands.php

#4 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 18:44

• n8sand

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 3

Off the coast of Krabi, you'll find a cluster of smaller, quieter islands that are easy to reach. I hear Koh Lanta is fantastic, though I've yet to visit. Some of my friends can't stop talking about it. They say prices are much lower, the beaches are cleaner and less populated, and the environment is a whole lot more relaxing. Just thinking about it now makes me want to high-tail it out of Bangkok for a bit!

#5 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 20:14

• samila

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2011

How long you should stay on Koh Nakha Noi is up to you. I live a few kilometers away in Phuket and can go on a daytrip to the island whenever I want.

Maybe you need a few days to recover after a long flight to Thailand and then you can take some days to go on daytrips to other islands in the Phang Nga bay, go to Phuket and look around, go shopping...............
    If Koh Nakha Noi is too quiet then go to another island.

Off the coast of Satun, Trang, Krabi and other places there is many small islands. Around Phuket there is also many small islands. If sea, sand and sun is all you need then most islands will be good.

Koh Nakha Noi is close to the pier in Ao Por on Phuket's eastcoast, and Ao Por is close to Phuket's airport. You could be on the island a short time after landing. One of the bungalow resorts on the island could be a good place to start your Thailand vacation.

Some info and photo's of Ao Por and the pier: http://paddlinginphuket.blogspot.com/2011/08/ao-por.html

#6 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 06:53

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Also have a look at Koh Payam and Koh Ko Kao.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 20:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.