Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

6 months travelling Asia- help and advise please!

• soapie1992

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

hello,

Me and my boyfriend are looking into doing some travelling June time. We have a a rough idea
    of what type of things are in certain areas, but we don't know how long we should really be putting by for each place. Understanding 6 months is a longgg time for Asia, we were looking for maybe heading for south newsealand ( sorry about spelling, the key doesn't work haha ) at the end, for 2 months so really looking for a good route for 4 months..

if anyone can help and think of a good route that will make us enjoy the most of our trip and different things we could do at each place, please let me know

also a little guidance of visas for a route you've set if that's ok, as thats something i dont know alot about at the moment.

thank you.
    sophie

#1 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 06:43

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

If you're gonna fly to NZ at the end then it would seem logical to finish up in Singapore (pretty far south, good connections etc).

A logical four month route (the possibilities are endless so I'm only going based on personal experience and it is also a little harder as you don't state your specific interests) might be the following:

Vietnam: One month;
    Cambodia: Three weeks;
    Laos: Three weeks;
    Thailand: One month;
    Peninsular Malaysia/Singapore: Three weeks

This could all be done overland (with the odd boat journey) from Hanoi to Singapore. It is a well trodden route but there are some diversions too, and if you go with the above you will have enough time to visit these slightly less well trodden places (e.g. Dalat in Vietnam, North Eastern Cambodia, Pakse and Champasak in Laos and so on).

Current visa rules is not my strong point but potentially Vietnam is the only one you will need in advance.

Some of the other guys on here will tell you to rent a hut in rural Thailand for 4 months and learn to speak Thai and live properly like a local. The choice is entirely yours!!

If you tell us your specific interests we can maybe elaborate a bit more on specific of each country, where to avoid etc.

But you could def do worse than follow something like I've outlined above.

#2 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 09:28

• soapie1992

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

That route sounds good, we're both in our early twenties, so we enjoy partying, meeting other travelers, doing voluntary work, maybe some actual work as well as doing those once in aa lifetime kind of trips.. we're young and fit so we want to try and do as many activites as possible, whilst also fitting in the partying and recovering.

Do you have any idea how much we'd be looking at for flights from Singapore to new sealand and is it pretty straight forward..

Thank you very much for you ideas

#3 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 09:45

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

This route would definitely meet most, if not all of your criteria - partying (Saigon, Sihanoukville, Vang Vieng, Bangkok etc etc), activities (trekking in Sapa and Chiang Mai, tubing in Vang Vieng, rent a motorbike in Hoi An, Kampot or Luang Prabang and so on).

Voluntary work - potentially Cambodia. General consensus seems to be, don't pay to do it.

Re flights from Singapore to NZ, a quick search on Air Asia or Jetstar will give you an idea depending on your preferred dates. You are maybe looking at around $600 one way as it is a 10-11 hour flight.

Feel free to ask any more!!

#4 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 10:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.