Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Cambodia to Bangkok

• Whispy

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on what the most comfortable cost efficient way is from Cambodia, either Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, to Bangkok?

#1 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 10:55

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That probably depends on what you consider cost effective. If you are just talking about what is the least expensive option, then bus to Poipet and then train from Aranyaphratet to Bangkok. That will take an entire day, or more, and isn't the greatest of trips in my humble opinion.

If time is an issue for you, then fly. I've seen flights between the two places for around U$100, which is about what I paid many years ago, and you'll be in Bangkok in about 90 minutes, or so. You'll also get another full month visa on arrival, which will be handy if you don't have a multi-entry visa and plan on traveling around more in Thailand. You'll get 15 days if you cross overland.

#2 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 15:23

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The OP also mentions travelling from Sianoukville.There are a number of buses which run frorm there to Koh Kong (good paved road, 3-4 hours) You can take a motodop to the border (20 minutes) and then a van on the Thai sid to Trat where there are many connections to Bangkok or you can get a through ticket in S'ville which means the bus takes you to the border and a van is waiting for you when you cross the border.

#3 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 19:04

• n8sand

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 3

Just know that if you decide to bus it, you should have some questions ready for the seller. Make sure you find out beforehand what kind of bus you'll be taking and how many hours the entire bus ride will last. Sometimes paying a little more will save you a number of uncomfortable hours on the road.

Also, now's the time when you might be able to score some cheap tickets on airasia.com. It's worth checking the prices between Phnom Penh and Bangkok. You may find a great promotion and only pay a couple hundred baht to comfortably make the trip.

#4 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 20:21

• chocgirl

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

N8sand is absolutely right: try and find out what bus you will be on (if they will tell you). I ended up on a 10 person minivan, only we were 11, from Siem Reap to Poipet and we were basically told to just be quiet if we wanted to get there. The minivan from border to BKK was much better.

I believe I paid $10 for the whole way, not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive option either.

There is also a night service between Sihanoukville and Siem Reap. Two different buses: real sleeper bus (beds) and another with seats. About $18, I think.

#5 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 05:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What is a "motodop"?

#6 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 06:14

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Buses are always the cheapest option. If time isnt a problem, then they are evenb more of an option. Being stuck on a bus gives you the gift of time. Read a book. Do some writing. Relax and sleep. I like buses.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 10:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Being stuck on a bus gives you the gift of time. Read a book. Do some writing. Relax and sleep. I like buses."

Are you kidding me? Obviously you haven't had this "gift" as much as I have. I utterly despise them.

#8 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 10:26

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'What is a "motodop"?'
    Good question Madmac.
    A motodop is any unqualified idiot with a motorbike that hangs around every street corner shouting 'moto?' He'll take you anywhere for a negotiated price.They are also very good at carrying your luggage.I've seen them carry numerous suitcases and up to 3 people at once, bicycles, mattresses and just about anything you can think of without blinking an eyelid.Some of them can actually see and now and again I've been fortunate to have one who has brakes on his bike but that's the exception.

#9 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 21:34

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

'Being stuck on a bus gives you the gift of time.'
    Got to agree with you Madmac and you haven't been on a Cambodian bus with its overloud karaoke and the ripe smell of unwashed armpits.Yes, bus travel is wonderful.

#10 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 21:38

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Someone once posted here (prior to their first trip) that they had heard the bus travel was all part of the experience. Yeah, it is, the bad part.

#11 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 21:50

• n8sand

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010
    Location United States

Recently, I found myself on a VIP overnight bus from Bangkok to Chiangmai. The seat had a massage option, food was included, and each headrest had a monitor with movies and tv shows. Now, that!, was a wonderful bus ride.

Though, I've also been on a bus in Cambodia, which drove 10 mph over rocky terrain for 15 hours with three people on each seat.

Oh, how bus situations can range...

#12 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 22:24

• DebOnMission

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2012
    Location United States

Yep .. Even the paved roads in Cambodia are lacking. So - I have never taken the bus but I have traveled across Cambodia and back, and then onto Bangkok (from PP). I got cheap airfrance flight for a little over a hundred bucks - and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I have NOT heard good things from other European travelers (in Thailand) who took the bus route. It all depends on how tough you are I suppose and what you value. Personally, I think it is worth the money to fly. Then again, were i to travel with someone who didnt have the funds for this option, I would take my chances on the bus, know that it will be long and uncomfortable, and consider it part of the 'adventure' ;p
    Best~

#13 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 17:58

• mrdome

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

This is the ultimate cheapo version from Siem Reap:

- Capitol Tours bus to Poipet leaving at 8 AM for $3.75 (arrives 11 something AM at border roundabout in Poipet)
    - After crossing into Thailand, transportation to the train station, perhaps 50 THB, perhaps more or less (there used to be samlor's plying that route and I think they still must be. I paid only 5 THB in 2001, then it was 10, no idea what it would be now.
    - train to BKK leaves about 1:10PM, costs 48 THB, arrives about 7:30PM at Hualamphong.

Buses cost probably 4 times as much, take 4.5 - to 5.5 hours and you will be dropped off at Mor Chit bus station, well outside of where you will be staying (it's smart to get accomodation close to Hualamphong and yes, I'm partial to the train. You have much more space and it's safer and much cheaper. Not everyone will agree, I understand).

#14 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 09:54

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

Siem Riep, Phom Penh, Saigon by bus. Not for the faint of heart -- next time I fly :)

#15 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 15:39

• mrdome

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008

I have done it but you break the journey somewhere, of course.

#16 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 22:12

• n8sand

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010
    Location United States

BKK to PP or vice versa. If you were to book with Airasia.com right now for, say, February, you can buy a one-way ticket for about 1,500 baht. No too shabby.

#17 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 23:34

• mrdome

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008

I needed to travel that route on Songkran Sunday and by chance I looked up the fare on AirAsia for that day: 5 Euros! (plus 20 for taxes) = buy!

Saves me a day, also no need to drag yourself out of bed at 4AM as that flight departs in afternoon.

#18 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 23:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

- train to BKK leaves about 1:10PM, costs 48 THB, arrives about 7:30PM at Hualamphong.

Ahhh, something's not right here. The train costs more than the bus no matter where you are going in Thailand. From the Cambodian border it's going to cost A LOT more than 48 THB.

#19 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 04:23

• mrdome

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008

MADMAC, you are not correct. I took this very train in February and March of 2011. It was exactly 48 THB and it can't be that much more now. It is an all 3rd class train, that is why it's so cheap.

See proof here: http://seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Aranyaprathet

When I first took it in 2001 it was 43 THB, btw.

I am not sure why you don't believe me. I've been coming to SE Asia since 1999. Lived in Thailand from 2001 to 2005 and still travel this route annually. I don't contribute to a topic unless I have first hand experience.

#20 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 08:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I know why, because when I went to book it was first class.

I looked at the photos though, and the third class didn't look bad. For the price it's a great deal.

#21 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 09:21

• mrdome

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2008

There are only 2 trains each day in each direction and only 3rd class is available. Who was trying to sell you 1st class?

The departures from Bangkok, get quite crowded, so don't come too late if you want a seat. It really is a fun train where you will get up close with the locals. I'll take it again in late April Hopefully it won't pour down again like mad as it did in March).

#22 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 10:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I was going out of Khon Kaen...

I live here, so I get up close with the locals every day. No novelty there I'm afraid. But the price of that particular train was pretty impressive. Can't beat that.

#23 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 10:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.