Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Vaccines before travel

• jetson

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

I was planning on visiting my local travel clinic but after reading up on some sites it appears I have all my vaccines. I am coming from Canada and have the normal required vaccines. I also have my Hep A&B shots. Do you know of any others I should get before travel in March/Apr?
    I am also going to Cambodia

Thaks

#1 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 11:20

• Advertisement

• RhysAUS

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

I just saw my quack a couple of days ago to discuss the same thing, I wasn't sure if I already had Hep B and Tetanus so I got them again but these are the shots I had (I'm from Australia)
    1. BOOSTRIX. ®. -IPV. Combined diphtheria-Tetanus-acellular pertussis (dTpa) and Inactivated Poliovirus
    2. Engerix-B is hepatitis B infection (couldn't be bothered doing a blood test to see if I was already covered).
    3. VIVAXIM®. Salmonella typhi Vi polysaccharide and inactivated hepatitis A virus antigen vaccine.
    I also got scripts and doctors letter for Malarone (anti malaria, 1 a day) and 2 different anti gastro type ones to carry just in case (simplotan & nufloxib).
    I'm doing BKK, Laos, Cambodia but plan on straying off the beaten path in Laos/Cambodia

#2 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 22:33

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

You should be sure to be up to date on your tetanus and get a cholera vaccine. Other than these and the Hep vaccines you will be fine.

#3 Posted: 12/1/2012 - 20:06

• DebOnMission

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2012
    Location United States

I recently did Cambodia and Thailand and did:

Hep A with booster, Typhoid, Tetanus (mandatory). I also had a script for malarone.
    Optional were Hep B and Rabbies. I would highly recommend both. There is no animal control in Cambodia and appeared to be none in Bangkok.. I had a run in with a mean dog and was cursing myself that i didn't do the rabbies.

I just cant stress this enough as if you get bit by a rabid dog in Cambodia good luck with medical care.. it is almost non-existent there..

#4 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 18:06

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I think I only need Typhoid myself... Do you think I should get Malarone from my doc as well?? I have my twinrex Hep A/B from a few years ago. What I am reading is both my Heps A/B are good for at least 10 years plus.. Just got my Tetnus last year

#5 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 01:50

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The need for malaria pills (Malarone or whatever) really depends on where you are going and where. I have carried them on two (out of 3 trips) trips through SEA Asia and brought them all back with me each time.

If you are sticking to the main tourists area you most likely don't need it. Even if you are travelling off the beaten track you are probably OK, as long as it is dry season. Many of the travel doctor sites will warn of malaria in a country, but if you dig a bit deeper you will often find that the warnings are very generically applied to the whole country whereas in fact, the higher risk areas are often isolated. For example, they often warn about Laos. But when I dug a bit deeper , the only areas that I had to really be concerned about was Attapeu (in the Plateau) - that is, of the areas that I was visiting, and for the time of year that I was there.

My reason for taking it in the end is that I hate taking meds. I also figured I was probably at more risk of Dengue Fever for which you can't take anything preventative anyhow. So.. you need to cover up and use repellant anyhow. Preventative actions for dengue will help avoid malaria. And that's the approach I took.

BUT.. keep in mind, I'm not a doctor, nor am I an expert on malaria. And I doubt everyone else on this forum is either (except for one person who put led me to some good research info on Laos, but I forgot who it was. Rufus maybe?) So you are really asking the wrong people. We can only tell you what we chose to do. Some are better informed than others.

Be informed about the risks. Make an informed decision that is best for you. But just remember that if you do end up with either malaria or dengue fever, it won't be very pleasant at all. They don't call dengue bone-breaking disease for nothing!

#6 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 02:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.