Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand in Sept or June?

• greensnow

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2012

Here's my situation. I'm going to be in Spain for 8 months teaching English, I would love to spend about a month (maybe more) in Thailand as I've always wanted to spend some time there. My question is which time of year would you recommend?
    I'm leaning toward September for a couple reasons. I've heard that tourism is lower an therefore costs at that time of year, but my biggest reason is that I am not sure how I will be feeling after 8 months in Spain. Will I want to spend another month traveling when I miss home?
    But on the flip side, if I go in June and I really enjoy it and decide to spend longer, I can. I would have a deadline to leave if I were to visit in Sept.

Thoughts?

#1 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 19:53

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Do you care about rain? If so I'd come in June and stick mostly to the gulf coast and islands (Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, Ko Tao) for best conditions. For the rest of the country June-Oct is "rainy season" but how much and how long it rains varies a lot. Sometimes it comes in like a lion or goes out like a lion. This past year there was heavy flooding in late-September right through to Christmas in some places. Impossible to predict year upon year of course, but if given the choice I'd take June over September weather-wise. Sure a lot of European students show up after the term in mid-June but it's usually not really busy until July.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 23:11

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yeah, June is usually drier in the Andaman than September.
    On the southern gulf coast islands both months are short of the usual start to that area's wet season (Oct) but Sept is getting close, could be wetter with an early start to the wet.

You are right in that Sept sees fewer guests than June, although normally it is not as busy in tJune as say July and August in the southern Gulf.
    Both months sees relatively few visitors in the Andaman. Places like Phi Phi and Phuket will still be semi-busy but have good discounts on accommodation etc.

#3 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 03:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Irish female travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Thailand June-Sept ... By mibbles on 2 May 2011 25 5194 22 Feb 2012
23/F Cambodia-Thailand-Malaysia-Indonesia June-Sept 2012, looking for female travel buddy ... By MLuna on 23 Feb 2012 8 2527 31 Jul 2012
13 weeks solo in SEA (June - Sept) ... By Maran on 21 Apr 2014 4 1005 23 May 2014