Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand travel aug/sept 2012

• toproadman

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2012

hi all.
    thanks for reading
    im travelling to thailand the 14th of august starting in bangkok for a night then kanchaburi 4 nites then chaing mai 4 nights, then ko samui and ko phangan then returning to bangkok early september. what i am wondering is mainly the weather and what to expect in these areas, i no its the rainy season but is the rain only for a hour or two or will it be persistant. i am doing a hill trek in chaing mai and dont really want to be doing it the teaming rain.

also any advice on things to do while i am there, in kanchaburi i will be doing the bridge and floating bungalow and a trip to the waterfalls, in chaing mai i will be doing the hill trek and some sight seeing in koh samui i think relaxing on the beach, in koh phangan beach again and maybe have a look at the full moon party.
    if you can let me no about the weather in the places i would much appreciate it.

thank you

#1 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 18:52

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

top,

have a look at the animated thai weather map at this link:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

it will give you an idea of what to expect at each of the destinations you've mentioned for the time you'll be in the area. regards.

#2 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 16:15

• Bradford1812

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2012

Hi,
    I need help please...i also have questions i would like help on, but not sure where to go post it, please help!
    Not sure how to add it to the forum?

#3 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 01:20

• Sunchala

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2012

Hey!! I'll be in thailand in ago/sep, planning bangkok, ayuthaya, lopbury, phitsanulok, sukothai, chiang mai, chiang rai, and then beach!

#4 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 18:40

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

It is not monsoon from July to September on the Gulf of Thailand, as it is on a different weather pattern. It will be monsoon in the rest of the country though.

#5 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 21:28

• Cassnu

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2012

The monsoon in Samui and Phangan generally starts around October until February, prior to this June, July and August are usually good weather with the occasional shower (mostly at night) and calm seas (this is important for island hopping). With regard to the FMP be aware that most bungalow operators require a minimum 5 night stay around the party time, although this does drop to less nights the further from the main party area that you are.

#6 Posted: 11/3/2012 - 18:35

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a weather nerd - this is my usual spiel for August:

AUGThe southern Gulf islands (Samui, Phangan, Tao) are usually real good in August - still well short of their normal wet season of Oct into Jan. It does rain, but sunshine usually dominates.
    Elsewhere is wet season, but travel is usually okay - we get plenty of posts saying people had a good holiday with the usual daily mixture of one or a few showers/storms and sunshine/scattered cloud, some days with no rain.
    My experience of wet season months is that 15-25% of days tend to be blowy which can make west facing beaches and ferry trips unpleasant and longtail snorkelling trips cancel.
    However quite a few wet season days have little or no wind and when the sun's out conditions on those beaches can be as good as anywhere.
    This has been the pattern in all my wet season visits. In August 07, I was on Phi Phi and Phuket in what the newspapers called the wettest period for some years. In 15 days got 2 days virtually cloudless, about 2 where it rained more often than not (but these still had some sunny breaks and were not write-offs), and the rest were the normal mixture of one or a few showers, sun/scattered cloud. I had a great holiday. In August 09 I spent 4 days on the Phuket side. One was real windy, mostly sunny, a few short showers - the others were not windy, otherwise similar. Check the uncredited shots on the 2 Phi Phi pages and 1 Phuket page in the link below, lots of sunshine in them. BTW, Phi Phi/Phuket and Krabi are within sight of each other, so weather patterns are similar.
    The driest of the non-Southern Gulf islands tends to be Ko Samet near Bangkok. Most of Samet's beaches face east and are sheltered from the prevailing wet season winds which on the days when they get stronger can cause rough seas and blow a lot of flotsam and jetsom onto the beach.
    The wettest are Big Ko Chang and neighbours + the Ranong area islands. Nevertheless I have seen plenty of posts from visitors to the former in the wet season saying they enjoyed themselves.
    September tends to be much the same, maybe getting a bit wetter in non-southern Gulf areas. Particularly seeing you are there EARLY Sept I wouldn't expect any drastic chage from August.

#7 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 04:14

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Oh yeah - I was in Kanchanaburi last week for my second visit. I stayed both in town and up-country on one of the raft house resorts at Sai Yok.
    I reckon one of the best ways to see the region is to take one of the good value daytours offered all over Kanchanaburi town. Mine took in the fabulous Erawan waterfalls (we were there for over 3 hours so plenty of time to visit all 6 falls), Hellfire Pass, the Krasae Cave, a trip on the Death Railway and a walk across the Bridge on the River Kwai.
    There are plenty of alternative itineraries which take in hot springs, elephant riding, other waterfalls and caves etc - I reckon next time I'll ty to do one with rafting having watches dozens glide by my raft house on the mid Kwai River Noi.
    I personally think the Death Railway and Erawan Falls are other musts - plus Hellfire Pass if you are an Aussie or Kiwi.

#8 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 04:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Partner for Thailand Travel - Sept 2012 ... By traveldaworld on 3 Aug 2012 2 2601 16 Aug 2012
23/F Cambodia-Thailand-Malaysia-Indonesia June-Sept 2012, looking for female travel buddy ... By MLuna on 23 Feb 2012 8 2482 31 Jul 2012
31/M Thailand and elsewhere trip Aug 10th-Sept 22nd 2012 ... By andrefuture on 24 Jul 2012 0 787 24 Jul 2012
Solo Thailand trip (and elsewhere) Aug 10th-Sept 24th 2012 ... By andrefuture on 23 Jul 2012 5 4869 18 Aug 2012
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia Sept 2012 ... By RC2012 on 5 Apr 2012 4 6711 6 Apr 2012
South East Asia Sept > 2012 :) ... By littleamylou on 13 Mar 2012 5 1265 28 Aug 2012
Vietnam for 3 weeks starting in Hanoi 12 Sept 2012 ... By TravellingG on 2 Sep 2012 0 733 2 Sep 2012