Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Renting Mobile Phones in Bangkok

• CalgaryJen

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007

Is it possible to rent phones in Bangkok that work all over Thailand for 2.5 weeks?

How much would it cost (for phone calls and text messages)? We'll be mostly in Bangkok and in the south and gulf islands.

Where would you rent them?

#1 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 03:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi CalgaryJen,

You could probably rent one on arrival at the airport but you can but a cheap phone in Bangkok for around US$40-50, stick a local prepaid sim in it and you're set -- much easier than messing around with rental contracts etc.

#2 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 06:27

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my Verizon mobile phone from here in the states roamed quite comfortably in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces. It didn't do so well in Chiang Mai or other more distant locations however. Perhaps you can check with your mobile phone service provider to see if they have roaming/compatibility arrangements with any of the Thai mobile service providers.

The local SIM card is a great idea too, and gives you a local number so people can call you - providing that your mobile uses a SIM card. Most US mobile phones don't use them, and I suspect your Canadian phone might not either.

Whichever way you go, please write back and let us know how it went so we can learn from your experience too. :-) Thanks!

#3 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 10:17

• CalgaryJen

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007

Thanks for all the advice! I know my Canadian cell phone won't work overseas (the provider does not cover this) so I guess I'll have to go with either renting or buying. Buying sounds pretty good...does anyone know what the popular providers in Thailand are?

#4 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 11:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

CJ,

I'm afraid my informaiton is dated so I can help you with specifics. I know that Orange had bought into the mobile phone market during my last few visits. Most of the systems there are GSM 900 and GSM 1800, although there may be a CDMA 1900 system too.

Does your current mobile phone have a SIM card? If yes, then you should be able to buy a prepaid SIM card when you arrive. Just have the salesperson show you a map of that systems coverage - most mobile phone systems in Thailand cover the entire country now.

If your mobile doesn't have a SIM card, then I guess you'll have to rent. That gets a bit pricey, but worth it if it is important to you. Same thing - just make sure that mobile phone system has coverage where you want to be.

#5 Posted: 10/3/2007 - 23:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
mobile phones ... By darrenh on 25 Jan 2008 4 4383 6 Aug 2008
Mobile Phones ... By santsingh on 10 Aug 2006 10 9187 10 Jan 2011
Using Mobile Phones in Cambodia ... By ron67 on 23 Feb 2008 4 8473 24 Mar 2008
Using Mobile Phones Vietnam ... By ron67 on 23 Feb 2008 9 7438 6 Dec 2013
Calling mobile or cell phones in Kanchanaburi ... By husqvarna on 14 Dec 2009 8 3496 18 Dec 2009
Mobile internet and phones - what solutions are cheapest in SEAsia? ... By Solaris on 15 Sep 2008 1 3450 15 Sep 2008
Cell Phones in Bangkok ... By mreiss on 8 Sep 2012 6 4241 17 Feb 2014