Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How many days in each place?

• CalgaryJen

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007

I was wondering how many days *should* be spent at each of the following places? (We'll be in Thailand for 2.5 weeks).

Bangkok
    Ayutthaya
    Ko Tao
    Ko Pha Ngan
    Krabi
    Ko Phi Phi

#1 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 03:29

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

hmm, tricky as it depends what you're interested in, but:

Bangkok 3 days
    Ayutthaya 2 days
    Ko Tao 4 days
    Ko Pha Ngan 4 days
    Krabi 1 day
    Ko Phi Phi 4 days

Don't forget to allow time for travel etc. See the trip planner section for more hints in this regard.

#2 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 06:29

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Those intervals look good to me too, depending on how much time you want to spend relaxing on the beach vs. how much time you want to spend looking at ruins and temples and other cultural stuff. As Somtam says, be sure to build in travel time to your schedule, as getting from place to place can take longer than expected.

One thing I might suggest are to day trip it to Ayutthaya if the temples/ruins thing isn't a high priority for you. You'll still get to see most of Ayutthaya during a day trip, without having to move out of your accomodation in Bangers.

Also, save a day at the end of your trip to overnight in Bangkok before you fly out/return home. It will reduce the stress of worrying about getting back to Bangkok in time, and give you a chance to get in your end-of-trip shopping (if there is any money leftover to spend). Cheers.

#3 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 10:12

• CalgaryJen

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007

Thanks guys! I wanted to fly for the southern portion of the trip from Bangkok to Surat Thani and maybe fly back as well. Is it cheaper to buy the tickets before I leave or when I'm there? I saw some decent priced flights from AirAsia.

The only thing we know for sure is we want to be in Ko Pha Ngan for the Full Moon party on May 2 (we're arriving in Bangkok on Apr 26) so that's the only thing we want to work the trip around.

#4 Posted: 7/3/2007 - 11:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey CJ,

I doubt you'd save enough money, if any, buy purchasing your AirAsia tickets after you arrive. If you know when you want to travel, I'd go ahead and buy the tickets now. It is one less detail to worry about, and why risk not getting the flights you want to save a small amount of money.

Flying into Surat Thani is a good option for getting directly to Koh Phangan, as there are bus/ferry transfer packages available right at the airport for around 400 baht per person.

If you are heading back to Bangkok from the Koh Phi Phi area, you might consider flying back from Krabi or Phukhet instead of Surat Thani. Have a great trip. Cheers.

#5 Posted: 10/3/2007 - 23:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.