Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Songkran - places to be?

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Hi all,
    Been reading the posts but never posted before... A lot of great info, thank you !!!

Just curious about Thai New Year and where the best places to be other than Bangkok are? The date falls in the middle of my trip and I am planning on being on the Islands at this time.. I will prob be in Koh Tao or Koh Phagnan around this time. I am coming in from Canada for 3 weeks... Thanks so much .

#1 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 22:13

• Advertisement

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Pretty much everywhere is going to be fun, but I've got to give it to Chiang Mai. The islands won't be as spectacular as other places, or as many days.

#2 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 02:34

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 200

I agree Chiang Mai is "the" place to be if you want to fully throw yourself into Songkran! Although the daily soakings probably go on a bit too long .... ;-)

#3 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 04:32

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

if you are on kohpangnan you will have lots of fun. I recommend you stay at phangnan rainbow bungalows and go out on their truck down to thong sala - you will have a blast!

#4 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 05:31

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Songkran only lasts a day on Ko Phangan and other islands down south. It's much more of a northern thing with Chiang Mai being the motherload. It lasts almost a full week here.

#5 Posted: 27/1/2012 - 08:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Here too (Mukdahan) it seems to never end...

#6 Posted: 27/1/2012 - 23:19

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Go anywhere they don't have water

#7 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 02:25

• TrishyOS

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2012
    Location Ireland

I think I am going to travel to Chiang Mai for it, from the research I've done, it seems to be the place to be...but like you I will be in Koh Phanghan or Koh Tao prior to Songkran so need to figure out the best way of getting up North...Good Luck with your travels.

#8 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 15:44

• TrishyOS

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2012
    Location Ireland

I think I am going to travel to Chiang Mai for it, from the research I've done, it seems to be the place to be...but like you I will be in Koh Phanghan or Koh Tao prior to Songkran so need to figure out the best way of getting up North...Good Luck with your travels.

#9 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 15:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.