Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help with Visa Clarification

• akfisher

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2012

We are arriving to BKK on 2/8/12 and Departing on 3/15/12(have departing tickets).
    The majority of our trip will be in Thailand, hoping to make 3 short side trips to Siem Reap, Luang Prabang and Bali. The hub for all of these trips would beThailand.
    So it would look like this:
    Enter Thailand by air though BKK, eventually travel on landto Siem Reap, spend a few days looking at the temple and head back to Thailand.
    Head north to Chiang Mai spend a week there and make a sidetrip to Luang Prabang (again just a few days)
    Head to south Thailand then eventually fly to Bali from Bangkok or maybe Phuket then we would have to return to Bangkok prior to ourdeparture of the region on 3/15.

I am wondering if this is even possible. After reading the visa Sticky I understand itlike this- when we arrive first by air we get a 30 day visa, if we leave forCambodia on Day 2 of the trip we lose that visa (right? It's a single entry?)and we receive a 15 day visa when we reenter Thailand. Same with Laos when we exit Thailand we loseremaining days on visa but are issued another 15 day visa upon reentry. A round trip, side trip from Thailand to Baliwould make visa #4 when returning from Bali.

All regular visa are single entry right? Meaning as soon asyou leave the country unused days are lost?
    I read something about 3 visas in 6 months? Can anyoneexpand on this?
    In our case I think multiple entry visa would maybe be thebest option (if that can even be done in less than 2 weeks)
    Please any advice would be helpful just realized the 15 visaover land crossing (was planning on 30)

#1 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 22:52

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, each time you leave the country, you lose whatever remaining days that you have.

Each time you arrive in Thailand via air, you will receive 30 days.
    Each time you arrive in Thailand overland, you will receive 15 days.

So your need for a multi-day visa depends on how you will be arriving back into Thailand each time, and how you long will stay in the country before leaving each time.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2012 - 03:15

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Good advice Bizzy!

#3 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 11:50

• akfisher

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2012

thanks for the reply lizzy,

that is pretty much what i have concluded. the one thing that i really haven't nailed down is the rumor about only being allowed to enter the country 3 times in 6 months...

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

#4 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 17:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Yes, I believe that you can get that at some embassies but not all, for some unknown reason. I just read about it recently here on TF (ie in the last week or so) but can't remember exact details. It think if you applied at the embassy in Vientiane you get 3 entires, but in Phnom Penh or somewhere you only get 2 re-entries. Have a scout around on the forums - it was a recent post.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 18:25

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Now that they have changed it to 15 days you can do as many land border crossing as you want, and with your air ticket out this won't be a problem.
    The 3x entry is for those getting tourists visas in a neighbouring country without ever going back to their home country. ie.living here without a proper visa.

#6 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 19:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai visa clarification ... By mischiefmack on 8 Sep 2010 8 1590 24 Oct 2010
Visa Clarification Questions...Thailand and Vietnam ... By sundevil556 on 24 Jan 2012 3 2013 28 Jan 2012