Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where to stay in Bangkok??

• piazzai

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2012

Three of us are arriving to Bangkok Jan. 30 and I am trying to book a room in Bangkok for one night (maybe extending to two nights). I have researched and still cannot tell what part of the city is the best to stay? We are on a budget, probably would like to spend 10 dollars per person (or less), although would spend $15. We would like to be somewhere that is easy to move around the city.
    Any recommendations of what area to stay?? Or even specific hostels?
    Thanks for any help and suggestions!

#1 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 13:10

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Check the Bangkok page on this site, I would suggest Suk11. or near the Train Station... you are near an MRT there.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 21:14

• magnii

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2012

Hi Piazzai,
    Not sure of your presonal preferences but it you stay on Sukomvit Road then you will be very close to the MRT (this is the train system and cheap, safe and good to use).
    On Sukumvit Road you will find plenty of hotels that are within your budget, assuming you are sharing a room.

#3 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 02:35

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Choose somewhere that's near a sky train (BTS) station or an underground (MRT) station.

Suk 11 is a good suggestion. The vibe isn't as friendly and laid back as it was a few years ago but it's clean and very conveniently located as far as transport is concerned.
    The Nana skytrain station is about 50 meters away and it's less than a 10 minute walk to the underground station at Asoke as well.

You don't mention where you're going after Bangkok, but the MRT goes to the main train station (Hualumphong). The Eastern bus terminal is at Ekkamai, just a few stops away on the sky train. If you want to travel south by bus, then you can catch a 511 bus to the Southern bus terminal from the opposite side of Sukhumvit road.

#4 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 07:10

• mnemeth

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2012

I agree that Suk 11 is a good suggestion (that's where I've stayed my last two trips) though I'm not sure if or what you could find for $10/day there. Anywhere you can find in your price range on Sukhumvit (ie Sukhumvit 5-55 for instance) is going to be centrally located and easy to get anywhere from.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 23:22

• piazzai

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2012

Thank you for your advice! We booked a room at suk 11!

#6 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 23:20

• piazzai

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2012

I actually have one more question. Our flight gets in at 23:45 and we were wondering what would be the best way to get to our hostel? Is public transportation so late too dangerous? Should we just get a taxi straight from the airport or is it better to get one outside since i know airport cabs are about three times the price.
    Thanks!

#7 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 13:48

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Public transport in Bangkok isn't dangerous whatever the time of day or night it is but the skytrain won't be running that late, so get a taxi. Airport taxis aren't "3 times more expensive" if you can get them to use the meter. If the first taxi you try refuses to use the meter, then simply say no and take another one.

There's just a 50B airport surcharge if you get the taxi at official stand at the arrivals level. Don't take a taxi from people who approach you inside the airport, just follow the signs to the taxi stand.

You can avoid paying the 50B airport surcharge if you get a taxi at the departures level. Taxis dropping off people hang around there a bit hoping they can get a fare back into town too, even though they aren't supposed to. If you get a taxi at the departures level you won't have one of the airport staff writing the address of your guesthouse in Thai for the driver though ... and the driver may not speak any English.

As there are 3 of you sharing the taxi, it's your first time in Bangkok and you'll be tired and jetlagged after the flight, it's not really worth the hassle for a 50B difference in price. However if you want to risk it you can tell the driver you want to go to Sukhumvit Soi 11 (Soi "sip et" in Thai), near the Ambassador hotel.

Suk 11 is located in a small side street almost opposite the Ambassador Hotel main entrance. (There's a 7/11 on the corner) Even if the taxi driver doesn't know where Suk 11 is, they nearly all know where the Ambassador hotel is.

PS If you use the toll road and have the meter on then the driver will ask you for money to pay the tolls. This is normal, he's not ripping you off. There are two tolls and total price is 70-75B, can't remember exactly. Best to have some small change on you, not 1,000B notes.

#8 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 16:39

• sortapundit

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2012

"PS If you use the toll road and have the meter on then the driver will ask you for money to pay the tolls. This is normal, he's not ripping you off. There are two tolls and total price is 70-75B, can't remember exactly. Best to have some small change on you, not 1,000B notes."

True. At that time of night I usually take the surface roads (tell your cab driver 'No highway'). Not sure if it saves any real money, but I feel silly paying a toll when it's late and there's an empty toll-free road directly beneath the highway, and I never seem to have any small change in my pocket anyway.

#9 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 23:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"PS If you use the toll road and have the meter on then the driver will ask you for money to pay the tolls. This is normal, he's not ripping you off. There are two tolls and total price is 70-75B, can't remember exactly. Best to have some small change on you, not 1,000B notes."

I can picture this in my head right now. A sort of comic exchange as the cab driver reluctantly hands over the thousand baht note and get's a large fistfull of baht in return...

#10 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 11:26

• Advertisement

• sortapundit

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2012

I've done that a couple of times. They don't like it, but since most arrivals only have the 1,000 baht notes they got from the ATM near the taxi stand they must get it all the time.

#11 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 13:45

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If you take 19,900 or 9900 out of the ATM instead of 20,000 or 10,000 then you'll have change.

Sometimes the taxi drivers don't like it when you ask them not to use the express way either. Gets them back into town (and the chance of picking up another fare) quicker. The 35B drop fee hasn't been increased in over a decade so I always tip taxi drivers who use the meter without arguing and they get a slightly better tip if they don't use the expressway as well.

#12 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 14:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

SBE
    I always give a generous tip to honest taxi drivers. They do not make a lot of money. Life is not easy for them. My wife doesn't like it, but I don't care. If you can afford it, it's the right thing to do. Kudos to you for taking the high road on this subject.

#13 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 21:47

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'll second that Madmac.My son-in-law drives one now and like you say doesn't make a lot.
    BTW Most of them are from Isan.

#14 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 21:16

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I did this two days ago. I was offered a flat rate of 450 baht or the meter. Took the meter. My trip from the airport to sukhumvit soi 5 took a bit more than an hour and we took the motor way. The total for the tolls was 70 baht and there is a 50 baht surcharge at the airport. All in all my total was close to 400 baht and that included about a 70 baht tip. Hope this helps.

#15 Posted: 31/1/2012 - 21:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.