Thailand forum

Chong Mek tips?

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Any one have any tips on Chong Mek, thinking of staying there for a night... guesthouse, things to do?

#1 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 20:32

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I rode my bike around the streets of Chong Mek just over a year ago (this took about 10 minutes). Other than wandering around the market (which is only fully open on weekends and big holidays) for an hour or two, there is nothing there. It's a village with a border crossing and big market and little to nothing else. I saw a sign for a guest house, but didn't see the guest house.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 09:15

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I rode my bike around the streets of Chong Mek just over a year ago (this took about 10 minutes). Other than wandering around the market (which is only fully open on weekends and big holidays) for an hour or two, there is nothing there. It's a village with a border crossing and big market and little to nothing else. I saw a sign for a guest house, but didn't see the guest house.

#3 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 09:15

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

yeah, I found this out today, saw two guest houses, nothing to do there. And despite being a border town with hundreds of traveller's daily, forget about getting info ... they all wave and point to the border crossing when you ask a question... The lack of english in the area is not a problem for me, but the lack of misunderstanding simple body language... I'm dumbfounded by the fact that when I walk into a place to eat and sit down they all seem to wonder what I'm doing there. I walked out of one place when they ignored me for 1/2hr because I didn't speak Thai. - lol

#4 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 09:48

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I think Phibun would be a much better place to spend a night, unless you're going into Laos. There's nowhere between Ban Muang Kao (on the Laos side of the border) and Pakse to stop in. Just farms and the odd little roadside village.

There is a road that goes off to the right from the main highway (#16W) that is about 1.5 km before the Mekong and the bridge into Pakse. This will take you down to Champasak. Problem is that it's not paved and I don't believe there is any public transport. Goes through some amazing little villages, though. You can see several of these places along the riverside if you take a boat either to or from Pakse from the south.

Guess you're going to have to learn Thai for your next visit to Chong Mek. Sadly, I think I ate my worst Thai meal ever in the market. Bad meals over there have been extremely few and far between, but that one stands out. At least the people were nice.

#5 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 10:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.