Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

is it worth going on a day trip to samutprakarn crocodile farm and the floating market?

• sorabee

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2012

Any reviews for either or both?
    Any advice on which travel agency offers them?

#1 Posted: 2/2/2012 - 05:54

• Advertisement

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

We looked into the crocodile farm thing and apparently the animals aren't kept in very good conditions- this always puts me off going to animal places because it makes me sad...

The floating market is meant to be really good though, we didn't make it the last time we went but heard really good things from other travellers!

#2 Posted: 4/2/2012 - 13:15

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Sorabee,

I've been to both, and would recommend neither, especially if the visits are organized by a travel agent because you'll arrive at the market too late to get a good impression of it (if that's even possible now).

For floating markets, try Amphawa and do it on your own. It's very easy and it's a lovely little town. Lots of places to stay along the canal, and the floating market happens at night. If you want to go to Damnoen Saduak , it's quite close and you can check it out very early in the morning before the convoy of tourist buses start to arrive.

Here's a short review of Damnoen Saduak by CNN International. I don't usually put much stock in reviews by media organizations like this, but I'm afraid that they are spot-on this time in including Damnoen Saduak in the list of the biggest tourist traps in the world ... http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/life/15-worlds-worst-tourist-traps-077541

If you go, try to get there very early in the morning.

As for the crocodile farm ... there are better things to do in Bangkok. The one I went to had snake milking (where they extracted venom from the fangs of cobras) which was interesting, but otherwise it was as uplifting as a troupe of (tortured) performing bears in a traveling Indian circus.

#3 Posted: 4/2/2012 - 19:12

• sorabee

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2012

thank you guys both for your views!
    Afterall, I don't think I'll go to the Damnoen... will check out the Amphawa maybe!

#4 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 01:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can Tho - boat trip to floating market (warning/advice) ... By fox80 on 29 May 2011 2 6626 10 Jan 2014
How to get from Maeklong train market to Damnoen Saduak floating market ... By Russian on 5 Sep 2011 3 7090 5 Sep 2011
Tip for Cai Be floating market ... By rdavout on 13 Sep 2008 3 7385 16 Sep 2008
Damnoek Suduak floating market ... By Harry05 on 14 Oct 2007 1 1648 14 Oct 2007
Floating Market Damnoen Saduak ... By dawntlc on 28 Feb 2009 19 9147 22 Jul 2009
Kampong Chhnang, floating village worth it or no? ... By charlottex on 8 Jul 2014 0 166 8 Jul 2014