Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

visa

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

Can I enter Thailand using a USA passport on a one way ticket?
    Can I enter Viet Nam using a USA passport on a one way ticket?

Thanks, Caripito

#1 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 16:23

• Advertisement

• EurasiaTrav-
    eller

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2010

Thailand:
    NO, you will not even be able to check-in for your flight to Thailand if you don't produce an onward-ticket

Vietnam:
    You will need a Visa beforehand before even thinking of traveling to the country

#2 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 23:57

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

EurasiaTraveller,

Thanks for the info about Thailand.
    I know about the visa for Viet Nam. I will get a letter and present it at the Ha Noi aiport upon arrival.
    Can I enter Viet Nam using a USA passport on a one way ticket?

#3 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 14:32

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

As has been discussed many times on this site, the issue is not which passport you are carrying, etc. It comes down to whether or not the airlines will allow you to board the flight, since they carry the can IF the country doesn't allow you in for some visa-related reason.

As many have stated in these forums, people are often asked for proof when flying into Thailand from outside the SEA region. Generally, if flying within SEA, it hasn't been an issue. BUT... it's always a risk. The requirements are generally that you provide proof of departure within the visa period. Some airlines will ask to see that proof, and others won't.

When I'm in that situation and choose to take the risk, I always have a printed itinerary with me (just an outline of my proposed plans and dates) that will indicate that I'm leaving the country within the visa period. I've never used it as 'proof', and of course it only shows my intention, and isn't really proof. But it's better than nothing.

Read up on all the other threads for further info and discussion points.

#4 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 14:48

• Caripito

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2009
    Location United States

busylizzy,Excellent reply! Thanks!

#5 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 15:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.