Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Yes another itinerary question

• adampatto

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2011

Ok guys yes I know another Itinerary question. I am sorry but would love any sort of feedback or advice.

The trip is just myself and my partner, both mid to late 20's.
    Arriving into bangkok 17th september

Bangkok 1 night - After flight from uk
    Hanoi 2 nights - Flight from bangkok
    Halong Bay 1 night -
    Hanoi 1 night
    Hue 2 nights - flying from hanoi
    Hoi an 3 nights - Train
    Nha Trang 3 nights - Train
    Ho Chi Minh - 2 nights - Train
    Phnom Penh - 2 nights - Bus
    Sihanoukville - 1 night - Bus
    Koh Rong - 4 nights - Boat
    Sihanoukville - 1 night - Boat
    Siem Reap - 2 nights - Bus
    Bangkok - 2 Nights - Bus
    Koh Tao - 4 nights - Sleeper train/Boat - How far in advance would I need to book?
    Koh Phangan - 4 nights - Boat
    Koh Samui - 4 nights - Boat
    Phuket - 1 night - Fly
    Phi Phi - 5 nights - Boat
    Phuket - 2 night - Boat
    Bangkok then Sydney

What you guys think, were trying to see as much as we can but also not trying to rush around to much. We also have given ourselves 5 days extra.

Any advice or comments would be great!!

#1 Posted: 10/2/2012 - 05:48

• Advertisement

• 3drazor

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2011

Wow, way too much beaches for my liking, but i will give it a try:
    I think you itinerary is a little uneven. The nice, cultural cities don't get too much importance, but the beaches do. Why not spend the beach time in one country or do you have to see the beaches in every country ?
    I would personally spent more time in Vietnam's main cities, but thats just my liking.
    2 nights Siem Reap and Phnom Penh is also cutting it really short. Would spend at least three nights in every city.
    And for Cambodia: In you current itinerary you will probably have to backtrack a lot. So why not cut SHV out and do it like this: Phnom Penh -> Siem Reap - > Koh Kong -> Bangkok. You will also avoid the Poipet border this way.

#2 Posted: 13/2/2012 - 12:22

• adampatto

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2011

We love the beach!!!

What cities do we think we need to spend some more time at? I know what you mean about backtracking but we really want to go to Koh Rong there isnt a bus from SHV to Siem Reap as far as I know?

How far in advance should we book the sleeper train leaving bangkok?

#3 Posted: 13/2/2012 - 16:06

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

It's good you've allowed yourselves an extra 5 days because that seems like a lot of travelling time and not enough taking in some of the cool places along the way. As said above I would allow a bit more time in the cities in Cambodia, especially Siem Reap. If you like beaches and partying then I would still go to Sihanoukville, the beach isn't great but some of the bars along them are chilled or there are a few with live bands and DJ's..

If your going to Full Moon party on Phangan then book your boat ticket as early as you can, this is easily doable at any city in Thailand, probably good to do it in Bangkok before you head to Koh Tao.

You might want to check out our website International Backpacker Card as we have discounts in practically every place you are going for accommodation, restaurants, scuba diving and more... (bit of a shameless plug but it really is something you might be interested in).

Hope you have a good trip and if you really like somewhere stay for an extra few days, as you may only get one chance to ever visit there!

#4 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 15:52

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"there isnt a bus from SHV to Siem Reap as far as I know?"

There is. I took it a few years ago. 10-11 hours direct, not the most comfortable however.

#5 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 03:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

A lot of movement. You are eating a week or more (I think more) in transit time.

Also it appears you are spending almost no time in Bangkok, arguably the most interesting city in SEA.

#6 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 04:08

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

There is an overnight sleeper bus from Sihanoukville to Siem Reap so you could cut out a night in Sihanoukville. In my opinion there is no such thing as a comfortable sleeper bus but it has flat-ish beds so isn't too bad ...... You definitely need more time in Siem Reap and as MADMAC says also Bangkok especially if you've not been before.

You'll need that beach time to recover - it's a busy itinerary but not impossible. Not sure that I'd bother with those 2 nights in Phuket at the end - you could travel from Phi Phi back to either Krabi or Phuket and fly back to Bangkok in one go to buy yourself a couple of nights back .......

#7 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 04:43

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Just a word of advice, if you get the chance to choose your seats on a sleeper bus when buying your ticket then get as far away from the toilet as possible!

#8 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 11:49

• adampatto

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2011

Hey Guys,

Thanks all for the advice

Firstly ive added in another night to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Hue to the Itinerary. Bangkok ive already done twice so just wanted to skip through it.
    For the sleeper train out of bangkok should we book them well in advance off the internet or do you think we would be ok to get them 2 days in advance in Bangkok even though we want 1st class sleepers?

We tried to cut some of the transit time by flying some legs ie Hanoi to Hue, Koh Samui to Bangkok, and then we will try to hit some of the sleeper trains trying not to eat to much time up.

Cheers guys

#9 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 14:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.