Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

From Ko Phan Gam to Butterworth or KL

Posted by nokiadude on 13/2/2012 at 01:54

Hi,

What is the cheapest way to get from Ko Phan Gam to Butterworth or Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. I start my travels in Bangkok, take the bus to Ko Phan Gam but after that I cant figure out the cheapest way to get into Malaysia.

Thanks

#1 nokiadude has been a member since 13/2/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by guava_girl on 15/2/2012 at 20:13

I assume you mean Koh Phangan? The cheapest way is to take a bus to Hat Yai and then another bus from there to KL or Penang . There are also trains from Surat Thani to Butterworth station in Penang that is maybe 400 Baht more.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by nokiadude on 16/2/2012 at 11:57

Thanks guava_girl! I think I'll do the train from Surat Thani.

#3 nokiadude has been a member since 13/2/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by nokiadude on 16/2/2012 at 12:03

One more question - will I have to switch trains at the border when heading to Butterworth? I imagine there is some kind of immigration check. Or does the train wait for its passengers to clear thru immigration?

#4 nokiadude has been a member since 13/2/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by captainbkk on 17/2/2012 at 02:08

both-NO change (switch is to put the radio on), but both trains stop 1 hr at border and the staff sends you off and pass immigration-first out Th and then in MY. Just follow crowd or listen to the staff. you also have to take all luggage with you-sniffer dogs check the trains while it is standing. They change the loco from TH to MY. In the coffeeshop they do decent rates for changing cash THB to cash MYR.
You asked for train and that is not the cheapest-the bus is. Your best bet is to aim for the KTMB overnight train HYai-KUL (arr 5.30 or so there), dep. HYai about 15.30, for most too early to reach from PangAn in 1 day. check seat61.com for details. Overnight buses from Hyai to KL are a plenty-just walk into any of the dozens of agents, and lve much later. These buses bypass BTW-they stay on the jalan tol.
the other train is the overnight Thai train BKk-stop Surat after 0.00-via Hyai-2 cars on to BTW-to arr. 13.00 or so. Then take any bus just beside to reach KUL fast-next train is only overnight.

#5 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.