Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

From Ko Phan Gam to Butterworth or KL

• nokiadude

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2012

Hi,

What is the cheapest way to get from Ko Phan Gam to Butterworth or Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. I start my travels in Bangkok, take the bus to Ko Phan Gam but after that I cant figure out the cheapest way to get into Malaysia.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/2/2012 - 01:54

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

I assume you mean Koh Phangan? The cheapest way is to take a bus to Hat Yai and then another bus from there to KL or Penang . There are also trains from Surat Thani to Butterworth station in Penang that is maybe 400 Baht more.

#2 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 20:13

• nokiadude

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2012

Thanks guava_girl! I think I'll do the train from Surat Thani.

#3 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 11:57

• nokiadude

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2012

One more question - will I have to switch trains at the border when heading to Butterworth? I imagine there is some kind of immigration check. Or does the train wait for its passengers to clear thru immigration?

#4 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 12:03

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

both-NO change (switch is to put the radio on), but both trains stop 1 hr at border and the staff sends you off and pass immigration-first out Th and then in MY. Just follow crowd or listen to the staff. you also have to take all luggage with you-sniffer dogs check the trains while it is standing. They change the loco from TH to MY. In the coffeeshop they do decent rates for changing cash THB to cash MYR.
    You asked for train and that is not the cheapest-the bus is. Your best bet is to aim for the KTMB overnight train HYai-KUL (arr 5.30 or so there), dep. HYai about 15.30, for most too early to reach from PangAn in 1 day. check seat61.com for details. Overnight buses from Hyai to KL are a plenty-just walk into any of the dozens of agents, and lve much later. These buses bypass BTW-they stay on the jalan tol.
    the other train is the overnight Thai train BKk-stop Surat after 0.00-via Hyai-2 cars on to BTW-to arr. 13.00 or so. Then take any bus just beside to reach KUL fast-next train is only overnight.

#5 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 02:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.