Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Traveling from Sukhothai to Chiang Mai Around Songkran

• jc1257

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

My current itinerary plan has me traveling between Sukhothai and Chiang Mai in the days before Songkran. The problem is that when I look at the Thai railway site, all of the trains appear fully booked between Chiang Mai and Phitsanulok (the closest train station) for the 2 weeks before Songkran. During that same time, I can get tickets from Bangkok to Phisanulok or for the whole trip from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, but the portion between Chiang Mai and Phitsanulok is booked up.

Should I have any trouble booking transportation between the two Sukhothai and Chiang Mai during this time? I'm fairly flexible and can go to either city first, so I might be trying to make the trip as early as April 5.

Any help would be awesome. I don't want to get stuck in Sukhothai for 2 weeks or have to skip Chiang Mai.

#1 Posted: 14/2/2012 - 03:13

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Take a bus. Lots of them from Sukhothai and Phitsanulok .

You can also go from Uttaradit, which you can get to if you take a songthaew from either Sukothai or Phitsanulok to Sawankhalok, and then take the special single line train from the station at Sawankhalok. This little train only goes between Sawankhalok and Uttaradit. From Uttaradit, you can grab one of many buses.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2012 - 07:36

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

do not bother with that sideline-just 1 train/day.
    BUS is the way to go-ev hour via a much quicker route and it is as it is-when its all full you stand-among a few 100 Thai. Not anyone will go all the way-ever been on a bus? Try to ask at busst, when you get off on arr which bus STARTS at Sukh-most likely to be able to book or grab seats-most bypass, come from further and may be pretty full on those days. By now there may also be those tourist minivans-you book at your placeyoustay and theyll pick you up.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 02:32

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Take the VIP bus. Check the schedule and ticket when you first get to Sukhothai. I did a round trip from Chaing Mai on a scooter one time. The girl I was with said she didn't need a map. She NEEDED a map. It was an interesting week though. :)

#4 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 19:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Mai for songkran ... By jackymoon on 5 Apr 2011 4 1680 5 Apr 2011
Getting to Chiang Mai Songkran ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 10 Mar 2013 2 1560 12 Mar 2013
NYE in Chiang Mai or Sukhothai? ... By vinygo on 8 Nov 2010 2 1758 12 Nov 2010
Sukhothai to Chiang Mai bus ... By Garm on 2 Jun 2010 3 9248 5 Jun 2010
Chiang Mai and around for Songkran next weekend! ... By whiskieman on 6 Apr 2012 4 1309 8 Apr 2012