Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bomb Blasts in Bangkok

• micheltan2

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2012

An Iranian man was badly injured and a second Iranian was arrested after a series of grenade attacks caused panic in Bangkok and left five bystanders injured yesterday.
    In related news, the British Embassy in Bangkok issued a travel advisory within hours of the explosions, the first one of which took place at 2pm at a house rented by three Iranians.
    Source http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20120215-327990/2.html

http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/120215_bkkblast/images/pic2.jpg
    http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/120215_bkkblast/images/pic1.jpg
    http://www.asiaone.com/static/multimedia/gallery/120215_bkkblast/images/pic8.jpg

This is bad. God bless Thailand.
    My family is going to Phuket in 3 weeks
    Is that a safe place to go to given what happen in Bangkok.
    Help?

#1 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 07:59

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Phuket is miles away from Bangkok and as far as I know they were targeting Israeli diplomats. Doubt you will find any in Phuket.

#2 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 20:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It is MUCH more likely you will be killed in a traffic accident than by an Iranian assassin. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has killed been killed in Thailand by an Iranian assassin yet, but deaths due to traffic accident are large in number. If you want to worry about something, that would be something worth worrying about.

#3 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 22:42

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It's says he sustained injuries to his abdomen.with a bit of luck it removed his 'equipment'
    so the SOB won't be having much fun with those virgins in paradise.

#4 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 23:49

• micheltan2

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2012

I'm getting nervous. I could not cancel our holiday because Our hotel accomodations and everything else is fully paid.
    Is this incident related to the terror treat advisory last month.
    Whats next? suicide bombers. Things that are happening in Thailand now are unpredictable you never know whats going to happen.
    Hopefully peace will come soon.

#5 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 02:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Michel
    Ahhhh dude, are you on crack or something before you post? What "things" are happening in Thailand right now that are unpredictable and have caused concern for you? This was a one off targetting Israeli diplomats? Are you an Israeli diplomat or something?

#6 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 03:45

• kellystc

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2012

If your family are not staying in Bangkok and you are still nervous about them going to Phuket then cancel and take the hit on losing any money paid. Safety should be the main concern not money!

#7 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 03:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Kelly there is no additional danger here right now. This was a one off event. The risk factors for tourists have not increased because of this. Cancelling now because of this would be foolish in my opinion.

#8 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 08:42

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

I'm still going next week, no terrorist threat ever stops me (comes from working on the railways)

Life goes on

#9 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 12:41

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I think it's bit of an over reaction also. If this is scaring you, don't read any of the other tags on here about Thailand. :)

#10 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 18:41

• Advertisement

• KopiO

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2012

Just came back from Bangkok last week. It's just fine. Things still as per normal.

#11 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 00:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

No question it's a major epidemic here. The government was slow to intervene, although when it did it did so effectively. But I think at this point the fact that HIV is a serious problem in Thailand is well known.

#12 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 05:16

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Bombs, HIV! Where's the link? Unless of course the SOB's have managed to create a dirty bomb which spreads HIV.
    BTW I'm with Madmac on this.Terrorist threats are happening worldwide.The only way to avoid the remote chance of being blown up is to stay indoors and never go outside.
    By cancelling and worrying you are playing into the hands of these people, it's exactly the reaction they want.In the 2nd World War people had to go through the blitz it didn't stop them going about their daily business and that was a million times worse.don't let these people win by changing your life and enjoying it because of these minor incidents.

#13 Posted: 3/3/2012 - 00:01

• svety

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2012

Madmac
    http://thailandbadnewsworld.proforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=1
    your a local there.you know very well that the disease hiv aids is epidemic there
    but i dont think foreigners like me knows that.

#14 Posted: 4/3/2012 - 03:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

svety
    Unless you can't read or have spent the last decade on the moons of jupiter or something, I think most reasonable people know that now.

#15 Posted: 4/3/2012 - 04:28

• kellystc

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2012

Phuket News - Car bomb caused deadly Hat Yai hotel blast
    The Phuket News - Sunday, 1st Apr 2012 10:40
    A deadly fire at a hotel in southern Thailand was caused by a car bomb planted by suspected insurgents, the national police chief said in remarks televised on Sunday.
    The fire killed three people, including a Malaysian tourist, and injured hundreds of others, according to a revised toll given by the provincial governor.
    It came on the same day as deadly bomb blasts killed 10 people elsewhere in the region.
    "Yes it was a car bomb and it's related to the incident (bombs) in Yala and I believe that it was the work of the same group. The vehicle used was a Honda," national police chief General Priewpan Damapong said.
    http://www.thephuketnews.com/news-national-car-bomb-caused-deadly-hat-yai-hotel-blast-29517.php

#16 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 00:21

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Good to hear since I will be coming on tuesday lol... What ever, I will be in that part of Thailand anyway. I won't rent a Honda !!

#17 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 07:53

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Kellystc....That is way down in the south around the border with Malaysia. It's been going on for a number of years now and is now new. Not real high on the usual tourist track.

#18 Posted: 2/4/2012 - 05:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand blasts: Iranian bomber injured in Bangkok - WHY? ... By chinarocks on 14 Feb 2012 6 1063 22 Feb 2012