Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Chang

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Looking forward to our five days there but what is it like to get out to other islands, is it easy to charter a boat and if so what are reasonable prices to pay to do so?

We are staying at the Gajapuri hotel after we cancelled our first choice which was the Ramayana resort.

#1 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 05:33

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

easy-well, mostly up to you. There are a very few regular boats now-but they do not really allow day trips. Plus I see really no point if you stay on some island to visit another island that pretty much is the same on a smaller scale. Unless you seem to do island collections.
    Prices for private hire boats tend to run in the 1000s of THB for short trips. Think of jet-set pricing.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 02:23

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Hi, we don't mind so much what things cost if the trip itself is worthwhile, I do take your point regards you seen one island you seen them all etc

I do like to travel and see new places though so if you were to do one island trip away from Ko Chang which one would it be and why?

Also what is worth doing on Ko Chang itself as we plan on doing a cookery course in Chiang Mai and an elephant trek in Kanchanaburi.

Thanks

#3 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 06:02

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I disagree that every island is the same, a big island like Ko Chang has a totally different feel compared to the relaxed stretch of beach on Ko Maak and the delightfully tiny-ness of Ko Wai . We spent two weeks feeling out these three islands and found each offered a unique experience. If you are really into swimming, I don't think Ko Maak is the best choice, as we found the water shallow and rocky, but nice for being out on beach and good food scene on the beach. Ko Wai is the spot to go for some snorkeling just off shore, and I believe they arrange day trips for that from Bang Bao . Ko Chang has a few different feels, depending on where you want to stay as well - Salakphat Bay is delightfully isolated (Long Beach), for a backpacker scene I think Lonely Beach must still be the place to go, Khlong Prao offered a quieter beach than White Sand so we liked that. So, for things to do I'd recommend checking out the different beaches if you get bored with the one you have locked in at the hotel. There is some treking across the center of the island and even if you decide not to take the day trip that departs from Bang Bao to Ko Wai I'd recommend a visit to Bang Bao village for lunch or dinner.

#4 Posted: 18/2/2012 - 05:34

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Has anyone been to long beach lately |I here you can stay in a treehouse?

#5 Posted: 13/3/2012 - 23:30

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

The place is called Treehouse, but you stay in bungalows above the beach, up a hill - the lounge/restaurant is perched up like you're in a tree-house though, but really on a 'cliff' above the ocean.

#6 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 04:38

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

ALT - most of the so-called tree houses in LOS are actually places high on stilts. But having seen Treehouse Long Beach I'm impressed - they are pretty looooong stilts - you are way up in the .... um ..... tree crowns.

Note I saw some months back a message that a wet season landslide had badly cut the access road to Tree House Long Beach. There are not too many places down there so I don't think repairs would be a priority - if you intend to go soon it may be worth an email re access.

For fans of the OLD Tree House on LONELY beach, I noticed the over-sea restaurant which survived the close down of the bungalows by several years was only stumps when I called by a few weeks ago.

The people who ran the OLD Tree House didn't move to Long Beach - they started Tree House Phangan on cute little Had Thong Reng just sout of popular Than Sadet. Seems they had to close not long ago - the landlord decided to sell out for a resort development.
    There goes my Phangan spot this upcoming trip.

KRIS - there are plenty of operators running daytrips south of big Chang. Your Ko Chang accommodation will have a selection. For some prior info try googling Bang Bao Boat and Kai Bea Hut.

#7 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 03:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.