Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand budget

Posted by kriskeogh on 17/2/2012 at 12:50

Maybe this is a silly question as everyone has different budgets but me and Gem (my wife) have £2500 for 3 weeks between us. Is that sufficient.

Hotels paid apart from 5 nights in Krabi. Internal flights paid. Need 2 1st class sleeper bunks bangkok - Chiang Mai, 2 1st class sleeper bunks Bangkok - Trang.

Don't mind where we eat but not bringing posh clothes to do posh places anyway, so cafes, local bars/resturaunts are fine. As are night markets.

Itinery

Bangkok 2 nts
Kanchanaburi 2 nts
Ko Chang 5 nts
Overnight Train
Chiang Mai 3 nts
Overnight Train (Bangkok - Surat Thani/Trang)
Krabi 5 nts
Bangkok 2 nts

#1 kriskeogh has been a member since 16/11/2011. Posts: 34

Posted by altmtl on 18/2/2012 at 01:22

I spend about 1000 to 1300 baht a day depending... 1st class trains are a waste of $$$, 2nd class is just fine.

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by adammont on 19/2/2012 at 11:12

Me and my girlfriend spent around £2000 in a month travelling around Thailand. went to kanchanaburi chumpon koh samui etc we lived very very well on this! i would imagine that u will have plenty of money

#3 adammont has been a member since 6/4/2011. Posts: 21

Posted by adammont on 19/2/2012 at 11:19

Me and my girlfriend spent around £2000 in a month travelling around Thailand. went to kanchanaburi chumpon koh samui etc we lived very very well on this! i would imagine that u will have plenty of money

#4 adammont has been a member since 6/4/2011. Posts: 21

Posted by THEIBC on 21/2/2012 at 13:40

£2500 is fine for two people even if you had to pay for all of your accommodation as well, you will have a great time. As said above 2nd class sleeper train is fine, but definitely get air con!

If you do want to save a bit of money on restaurants or scuba diving, you might want to check out our discount card for SE Asia - The link is in my signature.

#5 THEIBC has been a member since 12/10/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 20
 Website 

Posted by kriskeogh on 24/2/2012 at 14:28

Thanks all.

We don't intend on living lavishly despite it being a honeymoon, just nice meals once or twice and the rest of the time live it up in the night market or a local eatery. Not going after British or western food whilst there, can't think of anything worse.

#6 kriskeogh has been a member since 16/11/2011. Posts: 34

Posted by MADMAC on 25/2/2012 at 01:53

"Not going after British or western food whilst there, can't think of anything worse."

OK, you have a point on the British "cuisine".

For vacationers, who aren't here very long, I can understand that the food here will be a bit more unique and you want to exploit that. That makes sense. If you are here for a long time though, you will find that local cuisine eventually gets boring. At least most people find that. Now, after five years, when I see a McDonalds (which is rare) it's irresistable. If you offered me the finest Thai cuisine ever prepared, or a Cheeseburger and fries from McDonalds, I would take the cheeseburger and fries.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by altmtl on 25/2/2012 at 07:13

McDonalds!!!! - I wouldn't eat there if you paid me. I find western food in asia to be sub-standard so I stick to the local stuff, but I did have my first "western" supper in 2 months a few nights ago in LP ((Laos) - Pizza - It wasn't too bad.

#8 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.