Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand budget

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Maybe this is a silly question as everyone has different budgets but me and Gem (my wife) have £2500 for 3 weeks between us. Is that sufficient.

Hotels paid apart from 5 nights in Krabi. Internal flights paid. Need 2 1st class sleeper bunks bangkok - Chiang Mai, 2 1st class sleeper bunks Bangkok - Trang.

Don't mind where we eat but not bringing posh clothes to do posh places anyway, so cafes, local bars/resturaunts are fine. As are night markets.

Itinery

Bangkok 2 nts
    Kanchanaburi 2 nts
    Ko Chang 5 nts
    Overnight Train
    Chiang Mai 3 nts
    Overnight Train (Bangkok - Surat Thani/Trang)
    Krabi 5 nts
    Bangkok 2 nts

#1 Posted: 17/2/2012 - 12:50

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I spend about 1000 to 1300 baht a day depending... 1st class trains are a waste of $$$, 2nd class is just fine.

#2 Posted: 18/2/2012 - 01:22

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Me and my girlfriend spent around £2000 in a month travelling around Thailand. went to kanchanaburi chumpon koh samui etc we lived very very well on this! i would imagine that u will have plenty of money

#3 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 11:12

• adammont

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011

Me and my girlfriend spent around £2000 in a month travelling around Thailand. went to kanchanaburi chumpon koh samui etc we lived very very well on this! i would imagine that u will have plenty of money

#4 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 11:19

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

£2500 is fine for two people even if you had to pay for all of your accommodation as well, you will have a great time. As said above 2nd class sleeper train is fine, but definitely get air con!

If you do want to save a bit of money on restaurants or scuba diving, you might want to check out our discount card for SE Asia - The link is in my signature.

#5 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 13:40

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Thanks all.

We don't intend on living lavishly despite it being a honeymoon, just nice meals once or twice and the rest of the time live it up in the night market or a local eatery. Not going after British or western food whilst there, can't think of anything worse.

#6 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 14:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Not going after British or western food whilst there, can't think of anything worse."

OK, you have a point on the British "cuisine".

For vacationers, who aren't here very long, I can understand that the food here will be a bit more unique and you want to exploit that. That makes sense. If you are here for a long time though, you will find that local cuisine eventually gets boring. At least most people find that. Now, after five years, when I see a McDonalds (which is rare) it's irresistable. If you offered me the finest Thai cuisine ever prepared, or a Cheeseburger and fries from McDonalds, I would take the cheeseburger and fries.

#7 Posted: 25/2/2012 - 01:53

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

McDonalds!!!! - I wouldn't eat there if you paid me. I find western food in asia to be sub-standard so I stick to the local stuff, but I did have my first "western" supper in 2 months a few nights ago in LP ((Laos) - Pizza - It wasn't too bad.

#8 Posted: 25/2/2012 - 07:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.