Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tailor prices

• CalgaryJen

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007

One of my friends wanted me to look into getting her wedding dress (very simple design) custom made in Bangkok. She'll be giving me her sizes and pictures of the design she wants and she does have enough time that if it doesn't work out she can just buy one in Canada.

Anyway, my question is: Does anyone know the approx. price of getting a dress made? thanks.

#1 Posted: 15/3/2007 - 01:51

• Advertisement

• MJS

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

i don't have a indicatication of the price but i'm not sure you'll be able to get a dress made in Bangkok. i had a dress made, which sucked and was not worth the money. while my two travel male companions each had two fabulous looking suites made. the second time i accompanied my travel companion to the tailor, there were two women getting dresses made. again, the dresses looked horrible. though the women themselves didn't seem to notice. my point is: not sure if the tailors in Bangkok know how to make a dress or any other female clothing. And if some tailors do, i don't know where to find them.

#2 Posted: 19/4/2007 - 20:44

• JanNiklas

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2007

It is possible to make such a suite in Bkk, when you have the right and exact sizes. But don't do it in the Khao San Road or nearby, they are quite cheap there (50- 100 Us-Dollar) but the quality is really bad. You find many indian tailor shops all over Bkk, they make you a nice suit in about 1-2 days for about 200- 250 US-Dollar. That is still very cheap and quality is good.

Greets

Jan

#3 Posted: 19/4/2007 - 21:35

• wayne

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2004

I am not sure of how good these wedding dress shops are, but very close to Khao San Rd (the street that burger king is on end of Khao San Rd). Maybe called Tanao Rd, we used to call it wedding dress street?? Cant remember really but if you are facing Burger King after walking up the end of Khao San RD take a left and about 150m up the street on the left hand side you will find about 3 wedding dress shops (well have not been for a year or so, but they have been there for a long time). They design wedding dresses for Thai's perhaps poke your head in there and see what you think. :)

#4 Posted: 20/4/2007 - 22:47

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,
    I have had some success getting women's clothes made in BKK. I got a good dress made for my friend's wedding... My sister also got some dresses made, and they turned out fine. BUT if you are not able to try on the dress as it goes, that is not so good. You really need to try things on...!
    One of my friends got a dress made and had trouble because she is very curvy... not like Thai girls... it took 4 times trying it on to get it to fit right... Although when it was done it was really nice!
    If you want to have a go at getting the dress made in BKK, then there is a wedding dress shop in MBK shopping centre that has nice things... (On level 3 as you walk in from the Skytrain entrance). Or there is another wedding dress shop near the Skytrain station at Rathchathewi- just along from the Asia Hotel. maybe one of these would be better than juat a tailor... ALISON

#5 Posted: 23/4/2007 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.