Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Full/Half Moon Party- Is it worth it??

• lilymissfun

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2012

I cannot decide whether to change my trip dates to include the Full Moon party when traveling to Thailand in July.

Is it reallly worth attending or just over hyped?

#1 Posted: 20/2/2012 - 12:29

• Advertisement

• THEIBC

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

It really does depend on what you expect from it. Personally I loved it and everyone I was with had a great time, but we only visited two of the sound systems, one playing techno and the other dubstep and drum and bass. All the others seemed to either be playing Pitbull, LMFAO and Rihanna Remixes or some Psy-Trance. The atmosphere is amazing and generally everyone is well behaved but obviously when you have cheap alcohol served by the bucket and young people mixing things can go a little down hill and I saw a couple of fights and more than a few casualties from falls and stepping on glass etc... Don't let that be you!

In the week before Full Moon they have a lot of the sound systems set-up and all the drink stalls out and lots of pool parties etc.. so there is a good build up to the main event. We went to a Jungle Party a few days before that was amazing.

If that doesn't sound great but you still want to go to Koh Phangan then the island is really nice, especially up to the north. There are waterfalls to visit and lovely beaches and there is a really good scuba diving place - Sail Rock Divers.

The only problem we found was the lack of good places to eat, but maybe we didn't look hard enough. Plenty of standard Thai and Western places about but not that we found any that really did either that great!

#2 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 13:33

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

These parties are a waste of time.

#3 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 20:27

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

If you don't did big club/rave scenes then don't go. I am a house music guy, but I find the beach music and the DJs to be pretty bad, just pumping out the same remixed radio music from computer DJ software. Some kids get excited to be there because this is the biggest thing in their lives so far and they lose control sometimes. I have seen the parties on the islands (most recently for me PHI PHI at New Years a couple of years ago) with thousands of people tearing up the beach, fighting, overdosing, sexual assaults...et cetera. Some never notice any of it because they are sloshed out of their minds on drink and drugs and some small town kids are just so excited to have everyone love them (E and other uppers) that they come home and say...it was AMAZING!
    Just look at all the vids all over you-tube and decide on your own. It can be LOTS of fun but keep your wits about you!

#4 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 21:52

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You're asking about something highly subjective from a bunch of strangers. Some people absolutely loathe the FMP while some think it's the best thing on earth. Consider how you feel about a beach with a few thousand mostly young people getting drunk and raving to trance and reggae music all night. Only practical advice I'd give is take precautions against theft, drink-spiking, and the occasional gang of ladyboys lurking in the shadows, and remember dope is illegal in Thailand no matter how "chilled" the scene appears. Stay safe, have fun if you decide to go.

#5 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 09:41

• Venture135

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2

I didn't rate them all that much. IMO the half is better than the full as its just a bit different due to the "jungle club" location. You can party on the beach drinking buckets with tons of people on any night on KPN. I think its all a bit over hyped though.

#6 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 19:49

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

I will probably check out the 1/2 moon in April.. I mean I am there whats the harm right?

#7 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 09:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Is it worth booking accomodation in advance for the full moon party in april ... By mc600 on 25 Mar 2011 1 2621 26 Mar 2011
half moon party phuket?? ... By chloe_louise on 21 Oct 2011 0 1054 21 Oct 2011
Half Moon Party - Ko Phangan ... By Worldtraveller on 12 Feb 2010 7 6194 26 May 2012
Full moon vs Half moon ... By jbmpinkham on 15 Apr 2013 1 1741 15 Apr 2013
Koh Phangan/Half Moon Party/Hotel ... By Chicagojosh85 on 8 Nov 2012 2 2417 8 Nov 2012
Nov Half Moon Party accomodation advice ... By alssolotour on 14 Aug 2009 1 1465 16 Aug 2009
Loi Krathong and Full Moon Party, pushes party day later? ... By helmo645 on 26 May 2012 0 1620 26 May 2012
How to get the last ferry in time for half moon party on Koh Phangan? ... By eve1eve on 20 Nov 2013 5 1050 22 Nov 2013
Full Moon obscured by clouds - worth it? ... By CrankyCarrot on 23 Aug 2010 14 2087 10 Sep 2010
NYE Full Moon Party from Koh Tao ... By alexanderaroch on 1 Sep 2012 5 5342 4 Sep 2012