Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Train Travel in Thailand

• tbrooke

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2012

I am trying to reserve my train tickets with Thailand Train Tickets online. I am traveling during a busy season - April 9th through April 20th. I have tried twice to book my round trip train tickets online with Thailand Train Tickets and have been told that credit card information form will be sent shortly and that my paid reservations are not guaranteed. I have not received this credit card request information. In addition, I am told my request for return train travel is not available and that I will need to make another choice. Basically, I would like to find a reliable agency in the states that can give me advice on how to navigate the train reservations or that I can book directly with a US agency.

#1 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 18:59

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I know that many people highly recommend this site for train info: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm.

There is a link on there for booking tickets (in the country section at the top) - which takes you to: http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/Default.aspx?language=1

#2 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 21:02

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I've booked all my train tickets in Thailand online with a CC - never had a problem.

#3 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 21:49

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

you are asking for the impossible: there is no such agency in the US. And IF there was it would simply use that other system and tag on their own commission.
    2 possible rasons:
    1. US cr cds are not taken-as is also often the case with AirAsia-this due to their outdated imperfect safety features. Europe is far more advanced in that respect.
    2. in THAT busy period the Thai have priority- those dumb farang can wait or go other ways anyway. The trains are IMHO much overpraised-always late, only partly rec. if you can get a slepeper and the trip does not mind for hours longer. You simply have chosen one of the very worst times to travelk. stay put anyway and get smashed by the water canons.

#4 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 20:55

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

We couldn't book first class sleepers online but could book second class.

So a trip to the station on Monday afternoon is in order.

#5 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 14:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.