Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Lopburi

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Is Lopburi worth a visit on a day trip from Bangkok? We were gonna call there, then backtrack to Ayyathuya and back to Bangkok in the evening.

OR

Get a train there, have a few hours then get the sleeper to Chiang Mai

#1 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 03:07

• Advertisement

• heavanse

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2010

If you're trying to kill time or are into temples, then maybe I would suggest it. But if you have limited time, then I would pass and go to kanchanaburi instead

#2 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 05:45

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

We go Kanchanburi on Wednesday.

Is Lopburi worth a stop off en route to Chiang Mai , maybe get an earlier train there then get the sleeper to Chiang Mai from there.

#3 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 06:22

• heavanse

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2010

If you're only here for a day or a couple of hours, then I would say yes. I stopped here to kill time. I've been here 2+ days, taking an overnight train to Chiang Mai at 8, and I can't wait to leave. I'm sure it would be different if I was traveling with someone, but it's a small town and not much to do.

#4 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 06:31

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Lopburi is okay. The museum there is quite good, and the old market area is interesting. Of course, if you want to see monkeys then you'll get your fill of them around town and at Wat Prang Sam Yot.

The countryside around Lopburi is beautiful and it would be worth it to rent scooters and go out exploring, especially around Ban Lum Khao (I used to live there) and Ban Nong Sai Khao. They're lovely little villages surrounded on all sides by rice paddies and rolling hills.

Taking in Lopburi and Ayuthaya in one day-trip, though, might be pushing it a bit. Ayuthaya, alone, has enough to keep one busy for most of a day, and even night as many of the nice old temples are illuminated (though I can't speak for the place since the flooding).

If it's temples that you're interested in, I'd recommend making that stopover on the way to Chiangmai in Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai instead. Sukhothai has far better temples and lots of good and inexpensive places to stay. With scooters you can see both the Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai historical parks in one day. Si Satchanalai is a fantastic place that few people go to. Also, from Sukhothai (Phitsanulok, actually) there's no need for a sleeper train to Chiangmai.

#5 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 08:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Lop Buri is easily worth a stopover for a few hours on the way to Chiang Mai. As Tilapia says, the museum is quite good (albeit a bit expensive), and there are plenty of other interesting ruins to visit that will keep you entertained for a few hours.

As much as I like Lop Buri, I think Ayutthaya is a better option for a stopover on the way to Chiang Mai. There is more to see in Ayutthaya in terms of museums and ruins.

I also agree that you'll be much better off picking one or the other, as trying to visit both in one day is simply too much. If you only have a few hours, Lop Buri is good, but if you have a half day or more to kill before catching the overnight train to Chiang Mai, I'd pick Ayutthaya.

Have fun. Regards.

#6 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 21:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.