Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Maeklong market

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Want to do this as a day out, we are staying in Thonburi anyway so going from Wong wan Yai station isn't much hassle. Is it better to do it that way or get a taxi there and then do the train journeys back?

We would also like to see Amphawa market, is this open weekdays and is it easy to combine the trip.

Not bothered about going on train both ways, happy to bus/taxi it one way then train back as I believe the connections at the ferry between the trains can be quite hit and miss.

#1 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 06:28

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Mae Khlong market in Samut Songkhram is open every day. Weekdays are best as the market and the train can get really super busy on weekends. The market is becoming quite famous with the Thais.

Amphawa market? Are you talking about the floating market? If so, then you will need to be there in the evening, and it's worth going for. It's not huge, but it's interesting and not the tourist trap that the floating market at Damoen Saduak is. Amphawa is a really nice little town that you can get to by songthaew from the market in Samut Songkhram (B15). Lots of places to stay, too. There are many nice, old wooden river houses along the canal that have become homestays, and that open right onto the water. They're packed on weekends with Thais, and quite expensive. On weekdays they are practically empty and prices can be negotiated.

I'd take the train both ways, though I believe you can go straight to Amphawa from the Southern Bus Terminal in Bangkok, then head back to Thonburi on the train. The train and ferry connections are not hit and miss. They are scheduled and the schedules are adhered to. And even if the train is running a bit behind, the ferry will not leave until after it arrives. Also, there are two ferries. One goes to the pier right by the train station. These are not very frequent and run when the trains from Mae Khlong station are running. The other is about a 5 minute walk from the station, and ferries go back and forth between there and the main ferry terminal in Mahachai about ever 20 minutes. The main ferry terminal is about a 2 minute walk from the Mahachai station.

If you'd like the schedule, PM me and I can send it to you. I took a photo of it at the Mae Khlong Station and it has all the departure and arrival times. They're all in Thai, but I can translate it for you.

There are also a few "how to" videos for the Mahachai-Mae Khlong trains on YouTube. Here's one ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4sHiOC9fE ... the restaurant in the video is fantastic! I've eaten there a few times. It's a great place for lunch.

#2 Posted: 24/2/2012 - 09:09

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

AMp market is weekend only-and yes, afternoon-from fri onward. Check a site like bangkok-daytrips from the PakNam fora cluster.
    OF course there are big buses-and the only taxi;s youll see way out of BKK are BKK-taximeters by chance-waiting for a fare back to bigcity. There are also many and various minibuses-these replace the former all stops 2nd cl buses now-chances are there is even one to close by that place you mistakenly choose to stay in near the Bed+BTS.
    The trains on both lines are very prone to cancellation-they are free anyway for the Thai, as its 3d cl. local all stops. The 2nd line has just 1 set shuttling-so if its broke-thats it. IMHO way overhyped as so many of those trainfanatics. A same style market-a little less grand, is in fact in the Mahachai end=the terminus of the first part, with hourly trains.
    THIS weekend mahachai has its yearly shrimp festival with lots of shrimps, fish, music, dance, festivities etc-and surely a miss Kung to be chosen-some years ago when i went also a miss katoey Kung (=shrimp).

#3 Posted: 25/2/2012 - 20:46

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The train is free for Thais on holidays.

#4 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 18:38

• KopiO

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2012

Hope it's not too late

I took an alternative route last month:

From Bangkok MoChit 2 bus station took the Minibus to Nakhon Pathom (Spent 1 night and traveled there) the next morning took public bus# 78 to Danoem Saduak Floating Market, then took public bus to MaeKlong Market (it's only 1/2 hr bus trip between these 2 markets)

#5 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 23:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to get from Maeklong train market to Damnoen Saduak floating market ... By Russian on 5 Sep 2011 3 7561 5 Sep 2011