Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Hanoi to Chiang Mai

• arez116

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

I am planning to fly from Hanoi to Chiang Mai in June and wanted to fly since the journey overland takes more time than my itinerary will allow. Currently ticket prices seem pretty expensive relative ($359+) to what I have purchased for the other legs of my trip. Is this price for a one-way ticket normal or should I wait for it to go down?

Thanks in advance for advice!

#1 Posted: 25/2/2012 - 20:29

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

no-on THAT site it will not come down-only up-or stay
    Most likely you have the idea you can play travelagent by yourself without even knowing the basic facts. That is; NO direct flite-you have to go via BKK (or else=cost much more) and the obvious daft simple answer is: book separate 2 flites on AirAsia-NOW-youve just missed one of their awsome promotional weeks, and prices are sure to only go up.
    IF completely unfamilair with this budget airline; DO read all the caveats etc-and come prepared.

#2 Posted: 25/2/2012 - 20:32

• arez116

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2012

thanks for the advice that is definitely cheaper!
    when you say "read all caveats and come prepared" what do you mean specifically? Does AirAsia have unusual rules/requirements?

#3 Posted: 25/2/2012 - 20:40

• karlrufus

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2012

I just did this the other day, my flight from hanoi cost about £70 (so around $100) but if you get the flight way in advance it will be stupidly cheap, i just booked 4 weeks in advance. the flight you'll probably get will leave hanoi at 9am and get to bangkok for 11am ish, i then got the airport link to the central train station via a skytrain station, which was very easy and well signposted, and only cost about $4. I then got the overnight sleeper train to chiang mai that left at 18:30 and got to chiang mai for around 8am, this cost about 880 baht so around $29 and saved me a nights accommodation, so take off $5-10 for that :P So yeah it takes longer, getting me from hanoi to chiang mai in around 24 hours with around 6 hours to check out china town and the area surrounding hua lamphong (spelling?) train staion in bangkok. It is an experience though, and works out a lot cheaper than flying, but yeah. depends on your time budget i guess.

As a side note you really really should get yourself to Pai, its ******* amazing here and is where I'm typing this response from.

Karl

#4 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 05:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.