Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

thailand for a month/year

• hoozah

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2012

say if a person wanted to stay in thailand for a month how much is the average person going to spend? if one liked thailand enough to stay for a year, how much would one be looking at to spend for a year? this is including rent/food/utilities i guess. i've been googling different sites and seeing what people say. some estimate 5000 baht/month others estimate 40,000 baht/month. the figures are pretty skewed.

ty

#1 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 18:15

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would guess that it depends on whether you want to live like a King or a Pauper. You'll have to describe what kind of living conditions you are looking for. What area of Thailand, an apartment? With WiFi? With Pool?

Not that I can give specific advice on living costs, but the same questions to whether you are travelling or living there for a year.CrankyCarrot can probably help - but he'll need more info on your expectations.

#2 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 18:26

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Doubt you can live on 5,000 a month. I would say on average aim at around 12,000 to 15,000 as a minimum. If you drink a lot and like to eat out as opposed to cooking at home than this can double.

#3 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 18:42

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

To help you put things in perspective, 5000 baht a month is about 170 baht a day. The minimum wage in Thailand varies from 159 baht to 215 baht per day depending on the area.

guava girl is about right for 12k to 15k as a minimum starting point.

#4 Posted: 26/2/2012 - 23:13

• hoozah

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2012

Right now I'm saving about $2,400 CND a month. That converts to about 73k baht a month. That's obviously way above 12k-15k. I'd be looking for like a 1-2 bedroom home, with a decent location, food, utilities, internet and a mode of transportation (motor bike?). I'm not looking to live lavishly, just have a life time experience, enjoy the culture, nice weather (it is -40 degrees Celsius here some days) maybe learn the language a bit. The reason I say a 1-2 bedroom is because maybe if i like it enough a family member could fly down for a bit and I'd have the space for them. I'm 22 and I don't drink or party. This would be more of a life/learning experience then a college get away.

#5 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 22:18

• hoozah

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2012

also, i was looking at airplane tickets to fly there for June this summer for 2-3 weeks during my vacation. The prices on kayak are giving me about $2,000 to leave on a monday (round trip). It seems a bit steep for a round trip. Is that normal (flying from Alberta, Canada).

#6 Posted: 27/2/2012 - 22:21

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Try this website.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

For flights that long, $2000 seems to be about par for the course but you can do better. Using the ITA website, I think there were deals for CAD 1350 to 1600.

I think 40K will be plenty. Again, that depends on your activities, the area, and your lifestyle.

#7 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 00:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.