Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Visa Question

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Afternoon,
    I have read many things regarding Visa requirements for Thailand and was hoping someone could confirm what exactly I would need.

I am flying into Bangkok at the start of September this year from the Uk (I am a UK Citizen) going to be spending about 10 days in Thailand before moving onto Vietnam for 20 days and then returning to Thailand via Cambodia for a final 10days roughly.

I read that a UK citizen don't need to pay for a visa for the first 30days if arriving by air ( I am dubious about this) but if this is true does this mean i would just need to buy a re entry visa for 15 days?

any guidance is much appreciated as always

Thanks Moi.

#1 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 16:21

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You will be given 30 days on arrival into Thailand when you arrive by plane; you will get 15 days if you arrive by air. Neither of these options will cost you anything.

If you are only spending 10 days in Thailand after each entry, then you won't have any problems.

#2 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 18:32

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

but:again the problem is NOT arr in TH-the problem is departing on your plane: the above also makes 1 error: it is 15 days if Arr by LAND-otherwsie it makes no sense.
    Most airlines in EUR will want to see an ticket OUT in that 30-day leeway period. This is NOT visa on arrival-thats for minor suspect nationals, like Indians etc.

#3 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 01:43

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Captainbkk is correct - I made an error in my post above. I meant to say that you will get 15 days if you arrive overland. Sorry about the confusion.

Captain is also correct about needing proof of onward travel. An airline may refuse to let you board if you don't have proof of any onward ticket. It generally seems to be an issue on longhaul flights into the SEA region. Once you fly within the region (eg Bkk to Vietnam) the airlines don't seem to be concerned.

Phone the airline on which you will using to fly from UK to Bkk and see what their stance is. You may need to invest in a cheap throwaway ticket. If you get a cheap Air Asia one that you don't use, you are able to claim a small refund (ie the departure tax component).

#4 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 02:12

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Hiya, thanks for the info.

I should of said I have already booked my flight back out from Bangkok 6 weeks after i arrive, will this be good enough as proof of leaving or do i need something under the 30days?

#5 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 05:02

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I have never been asked for "proof of leaving" as I always have a return ticket, even if it's 3 months later. I applied for a 60 day visa 3 days ago in Laos, and was never asked for proof of onward travel.

#6 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 18:17

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's hard to say. I was asked by Air Asia for proof when flying from Air Asia to KL recently. In my case, I had proof of onward travel (on Air Asia) that same day from KL to Vientiane. No one asked on my second flight from KL though. It appears to be that you may have to provide that proof on flights into SEA region, but not within SEA region. But that's anecdotal only. The airlines have a requirement to ensure that you have onward tickets within the visa period. It's up to them whether or not they check or let you board. Chances are you will be OK, but....

#7 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 19:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.