Thailand forum

Ko Lanta information

• garthibiza

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 33

Hi, Just spent some time on Ko Lanta, and really for me, it's ten years too late. Driving down the west coast shows what tourism can do do what was probably a beautiful island 10 years ago, but, hey maybe thats what tourists want. As a traveller, I was dissappointed. Still the following day we rode down the east coast, what a change ! Seems like another island, with very little development, lots of trees and shrubs, rubber plantations, etc. The Lanta old town is worth a visit, and just as you leave it, an interesting artist has his workshop, located in an old house over the water. Further south, ( about 4 kms ) we came upon a roadside/seaview restaurant called "Panorama". The owner, a Thai called Jack, was so warm and caring, we stopped and ate lunch. Discovered that he has several rooms available, located just above the sea, surrounded by trees, and with a nice cooling breeze. So we decided to return the next day, and spend a night with natures aircon, a pleasant change from the freezing cold version we had lived with in Ban Sala Dan. We went out to our motorbike, parked in the sun to find that they had put a reflective cover on it, to help keep it cool !
    Anyway, we did spend a lovely night there, the following day, and found the owner and his wife, so welcoming to everyone who visited them, that we feel they deserve a special mention. Travelling is enriched so much by meeting those who really care.

#1 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 00:54

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I was thinking of spending some time there next Jan. What would you consider the best beaches on the island... despite your misgivings... :)

#2 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 03:24

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

I think this artist is drumming up custom for his roomsforrent in a smart way.
    And yes-the Thai have a talent from nature to spoil that nature.

#3 Posted: 1/3/2012 - 01:41

• garthibiza

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 33

I am replying to the message above, from captainbkk.
    Your response sadens me, as I have no axe to grind, and no connection with the place called "Panorama"
    It's a shame that you are so cynical, but, it's a free world, so you are entitled to your opinion.
    However, I stand by my comments, and only wish to help those whose actions deserve more custom. In closing, all I might add, is that if any of the Travelfish members chose to drop by there, let them pass on any comments, as to the attitude and quality of service they find. Happy trails .................

#4 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 02:19

• JamieBell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

@garthibiza

Thanks for the useful info. I am planning on flying over start April for 3 weeks and Ko Lanta will be one of my stop offs so I will defo check out the east coast and the places you recommend.

As for captainbkk, I wouldnt pay much attention as I just recently joined the forum and was looking for help/advice as this will be my first time travelling in Thailand. Lets just say he wasnt very helpful, must not have anything better to do!

Do you know much about the southern islands? I am travelling with my girlfiend and our plan is Bangkok for a couple days then fly to either Krabi or Trang. From there we would like to visit Lipe, Lanta, Phi Phi and Bulon Lae. Do you know the best order to visit these islands. I would like for us to have the route in such a way that we are not travelling too much by boat. In other words what would be the quickest route round these islands be? We plan to spend at least a couple of days on each.

Take it easy

#5 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 06:28

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I'll leave aside the bit about when a tourist become a traveller bit. Always makes me smile that one.

I've been to Ko Lanta 3 times - the first time in 2003 when the island was just getting its main road built. Dust everywhere. Development had started and there were quite a few places to stay, but it was all pretty low key. The journey by boat left Krabi from a wooden pier after a songthaow journey.

By 2010 when I was last there, there was an airport style ferry port at Krabi - and yes the island had developed further. The main road near to Ban Sala Dan is a strip of restaurants, banks, markets, Thai boxing announcements, etc. New places to stay have opened and the island is generally much busier than it was.

And yet - I still like it there. There's some good seafood restaurants in Sala Dan on piers over the water. Plus the island, as a whole, continues to offer something for most people - cheek by jowl bungalow operations near Sala Dan if that's your thing, to a progressively quieter scene the further south you go. Some beaches have a few resorts on them, some down south very few.

Something for most people, I would say. Even 'travellers'.

#6 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 07:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Updated Krabi-Lanta Ferry information? ... By rhingo on 31 Oct 2008 1 1815 1 Nov 2008