Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Any good tour packages to Chiang Mai for spring break?

• luoldeng9

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2012

I'm currently in the US but I have a week-long spring break starting in a week from now. I'll be traveling alone and I'm now thinking of taking a trip to Taiwan, Japan, or Thailand. I hope to spend 7 days in a foreign country. I've never been to any of those places before. If I go to Thailand, I would like to check out Chiang Mai

Does anyone have any experience with the package tours? I am thinking I could also just go out on my own unless I hear great things about the tours. However, I only speak English fluently and cannot even read any other languages, so that's why I'm not sure if it's worth it to travel alone

#1 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 12:57

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

It is easy to do on your own - and I'd recommend that over any package tour. With only 7 days you'll just see BKK and Chiang Mai , and to save time and make life easier I'd recommend booking a flight between the two. Once in Chiang Mai there are plenty of things to do and tour operations to choose from for day or overnight trips into the hills to the west - many with fluent English speaking guides. You also won't find a shortage of people to meet and relax with in either of those two locations.

To make life as simple as possible I'd recommend booking the flight before you leave (or a train ticket if you'd rather experience that as well - a nice time, but usually better with friends) and maybe pre-book your accommodations both in BKK and Chiang Mai. Plenty of good information on this site for that, or the usual hotel/hostel listening pages.

As for your selection - I do recommend Thailand, as Japan and Taiwan will prove to me much more expensive.

#2 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 20:43

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Quite hazy weather here in CM at the moment. It happens every Feb/March. Anyway you can just get here and arrange whatever you want to do via your guesthouse or a travel agency. Or just rent a scooter, get a good map and go exploring. Don't pre-book tours from the US you'll end up paying way too much. Also you can avoid Bangkok by flying straight to CM via Seoul or Taipei. Many tourists come here year-round and locals speak enough English for you to get by.

#3 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 02:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok to Chiang Mai - where to break the journey ... By kierjan on 14 Apr 2008 8 1573 17 Apr 2008
Tour packages from HCMC to Dalat ... By subzer06o4 on 18 Apr 2007 1 1862 19 Apr 2007