Thailand forum

Best place to stay on big Koh Chang?

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm considering Lonely beach... looking for a place between 200 - 300 baht with ensuite. Found a few options on Travelfish, but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas?

also checking http://iamkohchang.com/

#1 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 19:03

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Considering Koh Maak and or Koh Kut after that...

#2 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 19:06

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You know it depends on what you want to do while you're there - and how long you have. Was bouncing around the archipelago for two weeks with a friend a few years back and we skipped out on Lonely Beach, stayed at the one just south of White Sand as it seemed more relaxed and the price was right, hadn't booked ahead or anything though and we were afraid that Lonely Beach may have already been filled up.

Having then gone on to both Ko Maak and Ko Wai , they both have a unique feel - the two main accommodations on Ko Wai are a choice between quiet/family friendly or backpacker friendly, we stayed at the upscale place to have our own toilet and then hung out at Paradise during the evenings. A great small island with some decent snorkeling but when we were there the beaches were a bit small. Ko Maak, the main beach is a little pricey, but great food - though more for lounging then getting in the water as we found the ocean there a bit rocky and shallow. The locals on Ko Maak were the friendliest we met down south.

Anyway, to get to the point - we then headed over to Long Beach over on Salakphet Bay (caught a boat that was headed that way back from Ko Wai as otherwise it is quite the long haul from Bang Bao around the island to Long Beach). Long Beach was really isolated and fantastic. There were only two spots to stay when we were there, the happening Treehouse, up on a ledge overlooking the beach, and Zion, a fairly new spot that was right on the beach and a little more relaxed. I recommend this beach very highly, but it is fairly remote from the rest of the island. No electricity after 10, but then you can really take in the peaceful ocean at night.

#3 Posted: 2/3/2012 - 20:55

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

#4 Posted: 3/3/2012 - 01:00

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

The picture at the top of that post is from Treehouse onto Long Beach. About half-way down the threat is mention of KP Huts on Klong Prao. We stayed there, a good quiet section of the west coast with some nice eateries in the area - much quieter than to the southern part of Klong Prao and as you go north and cross the river over to White Sand, but a good central spot.

#5 Posted: 3/3/2012 - 01:30

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

My main interest would be staying at a place where the beach isn't rocky - :)

#6 Posted: 3/3/2012 - 05:24

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Well, I'm here... staying at ICE BEACH GH, a bit of a dump, but the cheapest I could find with a view of the ocean & private toilet/shower - for 300 baht. Maybe they should rename lonely beach - dirty beach, from by GH to the beach there is rubbish everywhere, people staying in 700 baht bungalows next door have the same route to walk.

Will rent a scooter and explore tomorrow, after that other islands options like above - koh Kood is pricy to get to however, as it's the most futher away. At least I'm won't have to come back Koh Chang to go back to Trat.

#7 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 03:49

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I reckon the best big Chang budget location is the beachfront joints on less visited northern White Sand Beach around Rock Sand Resort.

But hey, having just returned from another visit to the area I have to say Ko Wai and Ko Kood blows big Chang out of the water as far as nice beaches, crystal clear water and budget bungalows are concerned. And Mak aint bad either.

#8 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 04:49

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Koh Wai & Kok Maak are what I'll end up dong... heard many good things about Koh Wai.

#9 Posted: 16/3/2012 - 11:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
best place to stay for backpackers on Koh chang -urgent . ... By adonis on 25 Oct 2006 2 2013 25 Oct 2006