Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

90 Day in 6 month rule, stamped for 109 days

• dragonseeker

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011
    Total reviews: 8

Having spent 49 days in Thailand two months ago, I arrived at the border from Laos this morning expecting only another 41 days to make up the 90 days in any 6 months rule. The border immigration officer has stamped an exit date of 3 May in my passport which will bring me up to 109 days.
    I would like to spend all the 60 days here but don't want to pay an overstay fine. Should I;
    1. Stay 60 days and plead ignorance whilst pointing at the exit date in the passport OR
    2. Be a good boy and leave before my accumulated 90 days is up?
    I want to return again so don't need a black mark against my name.
    What would you do?

#1 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 01:49

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I'm not sure where you heard about this 90 day in 6 month rule... ? As far as I know it's currently a limit of three consecutive tourist visas and/or a maximum of three 90 day stays in a row. Even if that's the "official" case there are still people who are getting more visas after that... Check out some of the visa posts on www.thaivisa.com.

If you have a 60 day tourist visa with an exit stamp for May 3 then you are legally entitled to stay for the duration of the 60 days, and you could even extend it another 30 days by visiting immigration. So don't worry.

#2 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 03:45

• dragonseeker

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011
    Total reviews: 8

Thanks DLuek, I guess I was looking at some old forum posts and jumped to the wrong conclusions. I will happily spend the next 60 days here.

#3 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 20:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.